Friday, June 5, 2009

Summer Salad Saturday - Asian Cabbage Salad

asian cabbage salad
Asian Cabbage Salad - ButterYum
I completely forgot about Summer Salad Saturday, but I just so happened to make this Asian Cabbage Salad with dinner tonight and there was enough leftover to get a photo.

I'm constantly asked for this recipe - as a matter of fact, I bring a huge double batch to almost every church lunch and every single bit of it is gobbled up. Really, I cannot tell you how many times I've given out the recipe.

Yes, yes, I know... this salad doesn't completely adhere to my cooking from scratch philosophy, but the only thing keeping it from being that way are two little packages of $0.15 Ramen Noodles (tee-hee).

Seriously though, this recipe is a must try!


Asian Cabbage Salad
2 16oz bags of shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix (or one med head of red or green cabbage (or a little of both), shredded. Can also add some shredded carrots and broccoli. Very adaptable)
3 packages of chicken flavor Ramen Noodles (seasoning packets reserved for dressing)

Dressing:
3 seasoning packets (reserved from the Ramen Noodles)
1/2 cup canola or other non-flavored oil
1/4 cup granulated Splenda (or sugar, but sugar will make the cabbage watery)
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
6 scallions, sliced

Optional Garnish:
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted if you like (cashews are a nice substitution. Sunflower seeds work too)
Break up dry Ramen Noodles into bit sized pieces and toast them on a sheet pan in a 350F oven for 12 minutes (or brown them in a skillet with a bit of butter if you want to be really decedent). You can toast the nuts too if you like, but they toast faster, so do them separately. Cool.

In a large bowl, add the cabbage (and carrots or broccoli if using). Top with toasted noodles and nuts. In a jar, place all the ingredients for the dressing and shake well to combine; pour over salad and toss well.

Best if served immediately.

Note: this recipe is very versatile. I didn't have any almonds or scallions tonight, but the salad is still extremely tasty. I usually double this for picnics or church lunches and use one head of red and one head of green cabbage. To make this a light dinner dish, I reduce the cabbage in half and add leftover cold shredded chicken. This recipe is a winner... hope you try it!








15 comments:

  1. YUMMY!!!
    This looks amazing!!! I am so glad that you remembered the meme...or we would have missed out on this wonderful recipe!!! I love all of the variations you gave for the salad. I love something that can stand a little playing with!!!

    Thanks for sharing this!!!

    Have a wonderful weekend!!!
    XOXO
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made a salad similar to this and we absolutely love it!! Yours looks delish!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderfully looking salad! Thanks for helping my celebrate my 100th!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds yummy! Thanks for participating in SSS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there Ms. Butteryum! I make this all the time and could live on it ....... have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never had luck with this salad and now I am thinking since you said the sugar makes it watery that has been the problem. I do enjoy eating it when others make it but perhaps they make it at the last minute at you said.
    Thanks for sharing how to make it the correct way.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious! We love these type salads and I will try it for sure! Thanks!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful and delicious summer salad.
    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen a salad like this, it looks so good and easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks beyond amazing! I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've made a similar Asian chicken salad, but yours looks even better. I'm loving the different salads!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never made this... It sound wonderful.. Great pictures too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't had this salad in years. Forgot about it, actually. When I saw it here, I ran right out and purchased the ingredients. Everyone loved it!!
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the recipe Patricia. Everybody loved it. A definite keeper :)
    Rozanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh hooray... I'm so glad you liked it Rozanne!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!