Saturday, June 27, 2009

My Daughter's 2nd Cake (for my bday)

easy chocolate chip cakeThis is the last piece of a very special cake my daughter made for me. One year ago (on my 40th birthday), my daughter (14) announced that she would start making my birthday cake every year (happy-happy). She had a bit of trouble frosting that first cake all by herself, so this year she opted for a non-frosted cake. It was a coffee snack cake with a cinnamon and chocolate center, and it was very yummy!

Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Swirl Cake
Serves 9

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
2 eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Pre-heat oven to 350F. In large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add one egg at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla; mix.

In a small bowl, combine flour, b powder, and b soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Beat well to combine.

Spread half the mixture in a greased 9x9 baking pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar and sprinkle over chocolate. Top with remaining batter. Bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Serve.

Note: I love chocolate and cinnamon together, but some people aren't fond of that flavor combination - if you're not fond of it, feel free to omit the cinnamon from this recipe.


15 comments:

  1. Oh, yum! Can your daughter come over & cook for me! What a precious child. Happy Birthday! Blessings ... TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see she takes after her Mom... What a beautiful cake!

    Is this her first cake from scratch? She did a fantastic job!

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet, the cake looks delicious! I can't wait for my daughter to start baking with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so nice:) The cake sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like some of that cake now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cake looks delicious! You must be very proud of her..Good to learn young..I think all the kids in my family learned to peel potatoes at 7!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool is that?? What a great tradition your daughter is starting! Happy Birthday my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love chocolate chip cake.. although I've never made one before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet daughter you have! That's a darling thing to do for you on your birthday. Something to look forward to! Her cake looks delicious!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday and many happy returns! The cake looks delectable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday!! You're daughter did a fantastic job with your cake!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just made this to bring to a father's day celebration tomorrow. It came out great! I used greek yogurt instead of sour cream and I sprinkled some of the cinnamon sugar on top before I baked it for a crispy top. It look sgreat - thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for letting me know Lisa - my daughter was happy to hear you made it. I love to use Greek Yogurt in place of sour cream - hope you enjoy the cake!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!