Monday, June 8, 2009

New Pantry - Part 1

Get a load of these two knuckleheads. Truth be known, they're not really knuckleheads, they're family (aren't they cute?!). They do renovation and construction work, so I asked them if they would come for a visit and build me a pantry.
Guess what... they did!!!
:)


For 4 years, this space was home to my rolltop desk, but from the first day I stepped foot into this kitchen, I envisioned a wide pantry on this wall. See that tiny little broom closet on the right? Well, the contractor who built my house thought it would be a sufficient pantry. It probably would be sufficient for some families, but I cook big for our brood, so I found this broom-closet-in-disguise to be grossly inadequate, not to mention very difficult to get things in and out of because it's so deep and narrow.


So here we go... this project took a weekend, which included spending several hours at the hardware store buying all the supplies, frequently stopping for meals, watching a little TV here and there, taking a nap or two, and going out for dinner one evening because the kitchen was filled with drywall dust (gasping... need air... help.....).

There was no rush. They gave up their weekend to come to my house, so I wanted them to take their time.


First stop, Lowe's. Men aren't supposed to enjoy shopping, but I think these two were having a pretty good time!


Finally, after waiting 4 looooong years, it was really starting to happen... I was giddy with anticipation!


Whoo-hoo... it's coming along... looking good!!!


WIDE doors - happy, happy!!


Hooray - the doors are installed. Now we need drywall.


I like drywall!

Can you see the door knobs? I worried we wouldn't find ones that matched the existing doors,
but we did :).


Hooray!!! Can you see me doing cartwheels???

All it needs now is a little paint and some shelving. Stay tuned!
Update... the pantry is complete - click here to see.

Okay you two... ya done good!

Hey, while you guys are still here, what do you think about the possibility of maybe installing some beadboard in the guest bathroom...


37 comments:

  1. Send these two "knuckleheads" to my house anytime!! That wall is perfect for a pantry and I love the double doors--your're going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh aren't you the lucky one to have "knuckleheads" who are so talented in the family. Great job. Enjoy your new pantry.
    Happy Twirls

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. You are gonna love having all that extra storage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is a pantry for a cook! I have the smallest pantry in this house and I use to have a walk in one in my other house. Don't even ask how many times a day I say bad words under my breath:) I think my kitchen was designed by a knuckle head who never cooked because the layout is backwards. OK thanks for letting me vent and I am so jealous of your new pantry:)
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!! What a great job they did, I bet you are going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl you can send those guys to my house any time...what a great job they did...I would how you created a space that you needed and it looks as if its always been there...May you have a great day my friend...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dunno! They look like knuckleheads to me! I recognize the type, our family is FULL of them! Very talented and nice knuckleheads at that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. send those guys to my house! I have an ugly breakfast bar that needs to transform into something other than a trash trap! They did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That pantry was just meant for that space!!! Looks great...can't wait to see it when you get it all stocked!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great project!!! Looks like they did a wonderful job!!! You are going to love the extra storage!!! Now you can go shopping and fill it up!!!

    I hope you are having a wonderful day!!!
    XOXO
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Send those knuckleheads over to my house! Oh, your new pantry is awesome! I love it.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job by the men! I know you are going to enjoy that extra storage....have you filled it up yet? Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. They would love to install some beadboard for you but they will be busy at my house. I will cook for them too. Bring your tool belts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, send them my way now! They did a wonderful job and in just one weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on the new pantry! Wow. That's gorgeous. I can't wait to see the next post on it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How need, and it is looking so good. I watched my husband built an entire little powder room, doing the framing and all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enjoy the new pantry it's look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those guys are amazing!!! I think that pantry is perfect...I'm so very impressed...
    Robin
    All Things Heart and Home

    ReplyDelete
  19. Give them a nice pat on the back! Great job guys, I mean "knuckleheads" that do very good work! They look a lot alike! Luanne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Wow! Wow! I'm sooooo jealous. I need a pantry. Since I don't have one at all, I'd be happy with one the size of your "broom closet"...but a bigger one like your new one would be even better. :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an excellent idea to put a pantry there. I have one the size of your first pantry and I sure could use a larger one. Send those guys over when they're through, will ya? ~ Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are a lucky girl to have such handy "knuckleheads". I think you pantry is off to a great start! Such a great use for an awkward space! Great job!
    *Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  23. This turned out so good. It's nice to have to handy "knucleheads"!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a dream come true! I would do anything for a custom made pantry! Happy for ya!!Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow - you are so lucky! I recently looked at a home for sale, which was a nice house, but I rejected it because it had a tiny pantry and not one single place where one could be built.

    Enjoy your new pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You lucky woman! My pantry is TINY! I could use a couple workers like that around my place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. enjoy your pantry that looks great and a big change from the broom closet. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Holy cow...can we rent your knuckleheads??? What a wonderful transformation...and a much better use of that space. And with those big wide doors access is going to be easy peasy! YAY I bet you are sooo excited to get the painting done and the shelves up. It's so nice to have family that loves you and is handy with tools!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Whoooo Hoooooo! IT looks GREAT! I can't wait to see it all done and fitted with the shelving and all neatly organized ... right?!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yes, Yes, Yes!!! (at least it will start off that way... the kids don't keep anything the way I like it)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh lucky you! They did an amazing job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great job...AND done with GREAT smiles!!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, really appreciate it.

    TTFN~~Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love it! Send those 2 great guys my way..I have some work for them! :)
    Wonderful morph...

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fabulous!! And yes, those two knuckleheads are indeed cute! I'm so happy for you, getting a large, lovley pantry. I have to say, though that at my house increased storage space seems to fill up quickly...

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh, pantry envy!! I'm trying to organize my food cupboards and your after pictures are very inspiring!!! Great job "knuckleheads"!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I just recently stumbled accross your blog.I love the pantry idea! I currently have a stainless steel rack in my kitchen holding all my cookware/appliances and hubby complains all the time about how an eye sore it is! He loved the idea I will start as soon as the tax refund comes in! thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!