Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Recipe Review - Blueberry Lemonade by The Cooking Photographer

blueberry lemonadeTo tell the truth, I wasn't planning on blogging about this wonderful Lemonade, but after trying it, I just HAD to write about it.

This is a take on The Cooking Photographer's Blueberry Mint Lemonade.
Check out Laura's blog for the most wonderful photos and recipes.


simple syrup
First you'll need to make and cool some simple syrup.

For this recipe, you'll need to bring 1 1/2 cups water and 1 1/2 cups sugar to a boil; set aside to cool.


freshly squeezed lemon juiceNext you'll need 1 1/2 cups of freshly squeezed lemon juice. I squeezed about 6 medium lemons to get that amount. I used an electric citrus juicer which made the job pretty fast and easy. Gets every single drop of juice too.


frozen blueberriesTo the lemon juice, add 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 cups of cold water, the cooled simple syrup, and (here comes the fun part), add 1/2 cup frozen blueberries. They impart the most lovely color and flavor.


blueberry lemonadeLook at that color. Isn't it amazing?
I would like to have gotten a better photo, but the family guzzled this down so fast I had to literally pour the last bit into this glass so I could get a photo.

Laura likes to serve hers with mint - we liked it better without.

Laura says you can substitute the lemon juice with lime juice, and you can even add 1 cup of white rum to make your own mojitos.

Thanks for this great recipe Laura - we'll be enjoying this lemonade for years!


Blueberry Lemonade
serves 6-8
Printable Recipe

For the Simple Syrup

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups water

Bring to a boil and cool.

For the Lemonade

Simple Syrup from above
1 1/2 cups fresh lemon juice (or lime)
1 lemon, sliced (or lime)
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
5 1/2 to 6 1/2 cups of cold water

10 large to 20 small mint leaves (optional)

Stir, Chill, Serve - Refreshing and Delicious!

Tip - don't throw those empty lemon halves away. Freeze them - and the next time a recipe calls for lemon zest, pull a frozen half out and zest away! This works for limes and oranges too.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Patricia,

    I'm so glad you all liked this one! Love the pic with all the empty lemons, they feel like they're coming for me. I'll have to remember that shot.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG....this sounds do refreshing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!! The color is fantastic, I bet this is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Patricia, I saw you comment on my blog regarding the class. It is so funny that you mentioned that, I got the same comment from one of the members of the meet up. In advance I decided that I wasn't going to talk in my broken english, I didn't wanted to look like a moron in front of her. Well, let me tell you..she was amazing, polite, she answered all of our questions, she even allowed me to use her 00 tip since I didn't have one. She gave us advise in pricing the cakes. She even had lunch in our table, we all were speachless. I got the best experience with her. I even going to start taking classes at The Institute of Culinary education in NY with her. She teaches courses there and are very affortable. She gave us a curriculum for the class, let me know if you want it. I can scan it in the computer and email it to you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks sooo refreshingly good.But I'll have to find something to substitute for blueberries because they are very expensive here..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pssssst. You're still using my kitchen counters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And when did you sneak into my house and make lemonade?

    ReplyDelete
  8. And furthermore, why wasn't there any here when I returned??

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds devine and looks even better. Thanks for the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Now that looks wonderful! I bet my family would love it, too! And your photos are terrific...especially the shot with the lemons!...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds Yummy!

    Your new pantry is looking great! Can't wait to see it finished! You can't ever have too much storage can you? :) ~hugs, Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! Definitely going to be in my fridge this weekend.

    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks so good! I just read your last post and I have pantry envy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Refreshing on a hot day!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous idea -- so fruity and fresh.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!