Thursday, October 29, 2009

Almond Shamah Chiffon Cake

ButterYum Almond Shamah Chiffon CakeHere's my entry for the latest Heavenly Cake Bakers selection... an Almond Shamah Chiffon Cake, filled and frosted with raspberry whipped cream.

This cake has a lot of steps, but it's simple when you break it down.
Here we go...


Blanching almonds nuts ButterYumStart by toasting and grinding some blanched almonds. I didn't have any blanched almonds in the house, so I blanched my own by boiling skin-on almonds in water for about a minute...


blanching almonds nuts ButterYum...then plunged them into ice water to stop the cooking process. At this point it's really easy to remove the skins by giving the almonds a gentle squeeze.


toasting almonds nuts ButterYumNow we toast the almonds in a 350F oven for about 7 minutes.


making almond flour ButterYumWhen the almonds are cool, grind them in a food processor with a bit of flour, which keeps them from getting oily.


dry ingredients in food processor ButterYumAdd the remaining flour and baking powder, process for a few seconds; set aside.



whip egg yolks and sugar together ButterYum
Now we whip the egg yolks and 1/2 the sugar for 5 minutes....


ribbon stage ButterYum...until they look like this. Add the oil, water, and the two extracts; mix. Sprinkle the reserved ground nut/flour mixture on top if the yolk mixture; set aside.


add cream of tartar when whites are foamy ButterYumNow we make the meringue. Beat egg whites on med speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and whip until soft peaks form.


soft peaks ButterYumSoft peaks achieved. Time to slowly beat in the remaining sugar until the whites are glossy and they form "stiff peaks with slight curves".


egg whites stiff peaks ButterYumDone.


making a chiffon cake ButterYumNow we make the batter by folding the meringue into the reserved egg yolk/ground nut mixture.


pulls away from the sides of the pan ButterYumPour batter into 2 prepared 9" pans and bake until the cake tests done in the center and the sides start shrinking away from the pan. The pans were sprayed with Baker's Joy and lined with parchment rounds. No insulated baking strips were needed for this cake.


flip a cooling cake ButterYumThe structure of this particular cake recipe requires that you immediately turn them out of the pan and invert them to the right-side-up position. This is easy to do if you have extra cooling racks. Once the cake is right-side-up, remove the top cooling rack and cool completely.


making simple syrup or soaking syrup ButterYumNow we make the yummy soaking syrup. Boil water and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved; remove from the heat.


applying the syrup ButterYum sprayingCool syrup completely and add Amaretto. You should have one cup of Amaretto syrup. We're going to add 1/4 cup of syrup to each side of both cake layers. Most people would use a pastry brush to do this, but...


ButterYum Almond Shamah Chiffon CakeI saw a pastry chef on TV syrup a cake using a spray bottle once, so I bought one to try today. I'm happy to report that I loved using it. I was able to spray the syrup on very evenly, and completely avoided all the extra crumbs that dragging a pastry brush across the cake would have created.

If you'd like to give this trick a try, be sure to wash the spray bottle out with hot soapy water and rinse well before using. Set the nozzle somewhere in the middle between "spray" and "stream". Use long, even squirts. I found it helpful to tilt the cake a bit when doing this.


raspberry whipped cream ButterYumAre you still with me? We're almost done.

Time to make the Raspberry Whipped Cream.


raspberry jam whipped cream ButterYumMy seedless raspberry jam was a not-so-appetizing shade of beige-ish pink, so I added a few drops of red food coloring to brighten it up.


simple cake decoration ButterYumAh yes, MUCH better.
I piped a border and dotted it with wild raspberries I had stashed away in the freezer.


ButterYum Almond Shamah Chiffon CakeWould you care to stay for a spot of tea?
:)

Helpful Hint:
make your own grease proof cardboard rounds ButterYumI found this cake required a lot of "flipping" of the layers, done with the help of a lot of extra cardboard cake rounds. Since the layers were wet and sticky, I covered my non-water and grease proof cardboard rounds with a protective layer of Press'n Seal.

Once I was done assembling the cake, I was able to peel the press'n seal off, revealing pristine cardboard rounds that can be used again.


how to grease proof cake boards ButterYumPlace the Press'n Seal, sticky side up, on the counter. Place upside down cardboard round in place and wrap/press the extra onto the brown backside of the cardboard. Now your round is completely water and greese proof. The press'n seal is easily removed when you're done with it.

Happy Baking!

67 comments:

  1. Patricia, I love the pictures , you are getting so good at taking them. The cake looks delicious, but on a day like today I would love an amaretto shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Patricia! I love how you decorate your cake. Very pretty! And nice pictures as always. Great setting with the tea set. I'd love to come by for tea - if only I live close to VA. I like the trick with the spray bottle - it would definitely solve the issue with cake crumbs in the brush!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely perfect! I'm so glad you found time to make it after all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cake is beautiful! I love your swirl on top! Great pictures too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ב’’ה

    I love your posts. The cake looks great and thanks for the spray bottle trick (I'll try not to spray a snowflake...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! And a couple of great tips about the spray bottle, and the press-n-seal covered cake boards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! To die for! TY for sharing.

    Have a BOO-tea-FUL weekend. TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another delight for the senses! I can almost smell that berry goodness and those photos....my mouth is watering.
    Thanks for the great tip too-am going to try that next time.
    Best wishes, NM.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job Patricia! I love the way you present the cake and of course the frame by frame method.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely beautiful! I'd love to try this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a work of art and love! Beautiful. Your tutorial is very informative.
    So good!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pat! I'm so glad you made the cake!! I love your photos and your cake looks so yummy and beautiful! :D

    Now i want to buy Glad's Press & Seal! I don't seem to see it selling anywhere here! :( i think i'm gonna order online.. You make me spend $! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, amazing! I can't believe how involved this cake was. You're the cake queen! I'm so envious of your cake baking and decorating skills~!

    LOVE that beautiful picture of the meringue swirl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. encouraging and lovely photos...
    hmmm just the looks make me feel peckish..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing and have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your cake is very beautiful in an understated maner. I love that product that you use.It seems to be a very useful thing. We don't know that over here. I would love tho have some rolls of that. It would be ideal to cover my countertop with when making sugarpaste decorations.Must look on the internet for it.
    Have a nice Halloween and enjoy the tea and cake.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This cake looks delicious & I want to thank you for those wonderful tips about using the spray bottle as well as the Press & Seal. Great ideas!
    Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ♥ Rettabug

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH this looks so yummy! I think I just gained five pounds looking at it ;)

    Thank you for the visit and sweet comment! Enjoy your day!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The cake looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My two favorites-almonds AND raspberries! YUM:-D! Do you share the amounts so we can try it at home? I'd love to have the recipe. Found you at Gollum's. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your cake is breathtaking! Thanks for sharing :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks wonderful! Needless to say, I haven't gotten too far into the book. Made the Barcelona brownies...they were fantastic! I'm ripening the bananas now for the next round of banana cake with white chocolate icing...I got the mini purse at a quilt event and copied it. I just did a quick google and found intructions at lisaslifelines.blogspot.com. I think that's them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful cake. Your tutorial was picture perfect and made what sounded difficult look easy. Have a wonderful Foodie Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW!!! what a BEAUTIFUL!!! cake. You made this look so EASY!!!
    THANKS!!!
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  25. A lovely cake and fantastic pictures as usual!
    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful cake, P., and such a great photo! Wish I could come to tea! -Julie

    ReplyDelete
  27. How a lovely cake, appreciate for your sharing of the step by step photos, I guess this was not an easy task. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your cake just sounds delicious and your photos are very helpful. Wonderful post and great blog.
    vickie

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a nice cake. I got this bookmarked! I'm glad you also mentioned the beater blade in a previous post. I'm interested in getting one and your recommendation makes it easier to decide!!! :)
    Have a great weekend!.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Patricia,

    Every single part of this post is AWESOME!!! I'm downloading your whole tutorial to save.

    Thank-you!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW. I dont know what is better looking- the cake or your step by step pics. i need those instructions laid out like that!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a gorgeous cake!! And the tutorial is wonderful, almost like I was watching you make it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That is one beautiful cake! I've never blanched almonds and removed the skins. You learn something new every day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Absolutely Gorgeous presentation. I love the step by step instructions. You made this look so simple.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful coloured cake..looks delicious! love pink and your photos are great. Thanx for sharing :))

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wowm that's a stunning cake. What does Shamah mean?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Nice post - cake decorating pictures ..Keep Posting


    Ron
    cake decorating pictures

    ReplyDelete
  38. positively gorgeous cake and great photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Bravo! A splendid photo essay and a cake that is worthy of a photo spread. Thanks so much for sharing on Momtrends.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great tip about the press-n-seal! I finally bought two plastic "tuff" boards for the same reason - you can wash them and reuse!

    I have a question - how did you make the pretty swirl on the top of the cake? it's so even!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. The photos alone would bring me back to the site...excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Looking at this evil cake makes me fat. Oooooooo cake. I swear if I made this cake, I would hide it and eat the whole thing by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  43. And hi again. See you need to put something healthy on here so I stop drooling over cake.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Which I don't have here by the way. There is sadly no cake in this house.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hahahaha... you crack me up Laura! It was a very yummy cake!
    :)

    So how do roasted Brussel sprouts sound... healthy enough for you?

    ReplyDelete
  46. Quite stunning! Love your Brown Betty teapot.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thank you Vicki. I love my Brown Betty too. It was a gift from a close friend and I treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Gorgeous cake, I wish I was that talented!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Throwing my comment on the pile here, Patrincia....great job. Makes mine looks a bit like a dog's dinner, but I cut some SERIOUS corners. I love your spot of tea setup.

    ReplyDelete
  50. what a nice cake. sounds and looks delish. Nice blog glad I found it :) http://maltesebakes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  51. Patricia - I want to make this tomorrow for New Year's Eve party and want to decorate it like yours (if that's ok). Did make the exact whipped cream quantity as the book or did you increase it? It looks to me like I should make extra if I want to decorate it?

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hi Jenn - how wonderful! I believe I made the exact amount called for in the recipe, and I barely had enough leftover to pipe the small border. As a matter of fact, there were a few very thin spot of whipped cream on the cake, so next time I will make 1.5 times the whipped cream called for in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hi Jenn- how amazing! I think that you did an exceptional job! I love to see the beautiful final product, so I can learn what to expect when give this recipe a try!
    Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Oops, I'm not Jenn, but thanks for your kind words ;).

    :)
    ButterYum
    (Patricia)

    ReplyDelete
  55. Stunning cake and it looks delish! Thanks for sharing and Happy Pink Saturday to you.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  56. I think that yummy cake is worth all the steps it takes to make, Happy Pink Saturday, Char

    ReplyDelete
  57. What a gorgeous cake! Happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  58. yum! That cake looks luscious! Will have to try it!
    Happy PInk Saturday!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  59. I'd love to try this cake, but only if I can have a slice of yours. No way I'd be able to create that in my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  60. This is an awesome job! I just made some and my family is really happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Hi Patricia! Thank you for inspiring home cooks like me. I especially like your statement that you practically started from zero skills and is now baking wedding cakes! and that if you can do it so can anyone too :) thank you.

    Btw, I love the look of this cake. It's so homey. Reminds me of cakes in the 80's when i was still a kid. Happy Baking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  62. Hi, where can i find the recipe for this cake? it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's available in Rose's Heavenly Cakes by Rose Levy Beranbaum.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!