Monday, October 19, 2009

Apple Upside Down Cake

ButterYum Apple Upside Down CakeThis week's Heavenly Cake Bakers entry is an Apple Upside Down Cake. Perfect now that apple season is upon us. I forgot to take a pic of the first step, but you'll need to start this cake by slicing apples and letting them macerate in sugar until they get all nice and juicy. Set that aside - you'll need both the apples and the juice later. I used Golden Delicious apples.


how to line a cake pan with parchmentTime to line my 9" cake pan. I like to use precut parchment circles whenever possible, but I'm fresh out of ones that fit a 9" cake pan and I can't order more because my beloved Sweet Celebrations decided to go out of business (sniff, sniff). Please, drop me a line if you know where I can get some.

Anyway, no problem - it's easy to cut them yourself.
By the way, wax paper works just as well as parchment, and it is much less expensive.


lining a cake panTo cut parchment (or wax paper) to fit your pan, trace around the outside bottom edge of your pan.


cut wax paper or parchment paper to fit panThen fold the circle in to eighths and cut just inside the pencil mark. You just made a circle that will fit in your pan perfectly.


insulated baking strips magi-cakeHold the wax paper in place with a little cooking spray - butter or shortening will work too. Now brush the paper and sides of the pan with melted butter, and wrap the pan with insulated baking strip. These cloth insulated baking strips are soaked in water before being applied to the cake pan. They keep the cake from over baking on the edges, and help to produce a very level finished cake. I have 8 or 10 of them in different sizes and I wouldn't bake a cake without them!


making caramel toppingTime to make the caramel. This is where the reserved juice from macerating the apples comes into play. Butter and brown sugar and yummy juice from macerated apples... Hello!!! This mixture is cooked for just a few minutes. The caramel is then poured into the cake pan and that's when all the fun begins.


arranging apples in panI thought it would be a nice touch to start the swirl design with a slice of apple cut into the shape of an actual apple. I had a nice large slice of apple set aside, ready to be carved when I turned my back for just a second... as you probably guessed, one of the kids walked by and thought that perfect apple slice looked good enough to eat, and that's exactly what she did with it... sigh! Thankfully I had a smaller one reserved "just in case" (just in case I messed up the carving, not just in case someone ate it!). So in the end my carved apple was smaller than I had planned, but I still like the way it turned out.

Lesson learned - don't turn your back on perfect apple slices!


making apple upside down cakeTime to arrange the apple slices. I divided the slices into 3 piles - small ones, medium one, and large ones. If I had read Rose's directions more carefully, I would have cut them lengthwise, resulting in slices that were relatively all the same size.



making swirl patternBut I had to do things the hard way... not really, just a little different. Heck, you could even just dump the apples in haphazardly and be done with it if you want to - it would still be super delicious in the end.

So anyway, I started the swirl design using the small slices, then worked my way through the medium and large slices respectively.


apples in cake panHere we are, all done. Don't tell the kids I said this, but it's fun to play with your food.


BeaterBladeTime to make the batter... have I told you how much I LOVE my new BeaterBlade!!!!


Into the oven, placed on a preheated baking stone. The baking stone is optional, but if you have one, by all means use it. Doing so will help to caramel the apple layer. Good for homemade pizza and bread too.


unmolding cakeWhen the cake is done baking you immediately invert it onto your serving plate.
Wait a minute or two, then slowly lift.


removing cake from panTada! It came out of the pan perfectly with absolutely no sticking! My Golden Delicious apples didn't exude as much liquid as the photo in the book shows, but believe me when I say it tasted heavenly!

I served it at room temperature with a dollop of fresh homemade whipped cream!

I found cutting through the apple layer easiest using a serrated knife, cleaned between each slice for the neatest presentation of course ;).


ButterYum Apple Upside Down CakeThis cake is incredibly delicious! Very moist and the flavor is oh so good!! The caramel compliments the apples extremely well.
Really buttery and yummy.
Butter... Yum... ButterYum (get it?).
Seriously, I'd love to share with you, but you're all the way over there!


ButterYum Apple Upside Down CakeThanks for visiting.
I hope you try this cake some time!

To see more of this week's Apple Upside Down Cake entries, head on over to Marie's blog.

46 comments:

  1. Hey Ms. Butter Yum ...... your skills in the kitchen overwhelm me. I think you need to come to Bend and bring me a tiny slice ... with whipped creme please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, like Wow! I have made upside down everything else, why not apple! BTW we have the exact same granite counters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Love your photos!! Esp. the last one with the whipped cream on, it looks sooo yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patricia, I love the little apple in the center. That's creative thinking! Also great idea divving up the apples by slices. And you are making me want to get the beater blade now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DEFINITELY get the BeaterBlade - you will not be disappointed, I promise! It works sooooo well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow - those apple slices are very very impressive and the cake looks fantastic. Thanks for showing such a great profile shot... gives me something to aim for!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. patrincia, i love your photos, and how you pinpoint the in the making process. very educational. good job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh so pretty! I love the little carved apple slice. I love the story of the swiped carved apple! You were just asking for it to be taken.
    Nice step by step instructions too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As usual, great step by step pictures, I love the way you describe the steps too! Jeannette.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing!! Your pictures really tell it all ~ Fabulous:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Patricia - would you mind sharing what brand/type of camera that you use? Your pictures are so good. I'm not a good picture taker and I use basic digital camera.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea with the apple-shaped slice of apple! I can totally relate to guarding food items meant for use at a later time. My kids do it to me all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this one. I have to bake when the BIG child is out of the house on business as he takes the tasty pieces of my baking ingredients too. Drives me nuts:)
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  14. BH

    Beautiful cake!

    Thanks for the wax paper and fold into eighths ideas. That's pretty neat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cake turned out great. Kudos for not having any apples stick. The cake's texture looks great. Can't wait to bake this one. I'll put it on my todo list.

    I can't tell you how sad I am that Sweet Celebrations went out of business. There used to be one about 2-3 miles from my house and one about 1 mile from work. I could stop and pick up anything anytime I wanted (not so good for my checkbook of course). Since I've been looking for an alternative source. I requested a catalog from these guys: www.kitchenkrafts.com. They seem to carry a lot of stuff I used to get at SweetC but I haven't ordered anything from them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi!
    Just stumbled on this great food blogg,
    Pretty cool pictures and I do feel a bit peckish
    of making this apple upside down cake.

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mendy - you're welcome... just don't use wax paper if it will be exposed to direct heat... it'll burn.

    Hanaa - I used to live withing a few miles of SC too! Wish I would have purchased a lifetime supply of everything while it was still open! Sadly I moved away and didn't know anything about them closing the doors until they were almost out of stock. Thanks for the link - I'll take a look at Kitchenkrafts.

    Khim - "peckish" is such a perfect word to used when talking about apple cake :).

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your pictures! How do you get them to be so big? Happy to be baking-along now. xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I didn't want you to think that I had not answered your question regarding the photo, so
    I came here. I did not take that picture although I Photoshopped it. I enlarged the credit so it can be better seen. Your cake looks really delicious. I love your blog and will visit often.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Mary,
    Thank you and thank you again. :)

    I'm so glad I found your blog... I love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. YUM... goodness... this looks so good!!

    Thanks for visiting my blog today... you should dust off your drawer and use it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, yum!! My goodness that is a beautiful dessert! You had asked where I bought the wire baskets in my pantry project - The Container Store. They have all different shapes and sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh.my.goodness. You were kind enough to post on my blog and now i have to add you - this was not the blog to visit on the same day i started a crash diet. geez woman. LOL. you have amazing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my gosh! Your blog makes me SO hungry. hehe...thanks for stopping by today! Now I know where to go when I want some great food!

    :) Blair

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow..yum is right! I have loads of apples from a friend who owns an orchard...I may have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a gorgeous cake! I wish I could make something so pretty - I'm all about the nutrition and miss the aesthetics quite often. :)

    I can’t believe it took me so long to get to your recipe. Thank you so much for joining the October Fest Carnival of Super Foods! This week’s theme is Un-Processed Foods, or things you could buy in the store but choose to make at home. Hope to see you back!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear BY...Where, oh where dear lady do I find this recipe???I need to make this asap...I'm drooling on my keyboard...Help! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks amazing.... I enjoyed all the pictures, almost felt like I made it myself--lol

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my! This is beautiful and looks delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nancy Jane, you'll probably have to by Rose's book for the recipe, although I'd love to have it too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. The recipe is found in Rose's Heavenly Cakes. Just released by Wiley. Check your local library... if they don't have it, ask them to get it. My library will purchase just about any book if you request it.

    I'm sure you'll check it out again and again until finally you decide to get a copy of your own!

    ReplyDelete
  32. BY, this cake looks de-lish and your photography is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh wow. It's apple upside down cake from heaven!WOwwowowow.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have been looking for an apple upside down cake! Wonderful. Thank you. This cake looks really good. A must do!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh that looks so good! I have to try it.
    I keep forgetting to get the cake bands..and the blade is on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your cake looks heavenly. I too use insulated strips when baking cakes...make a difference, although I tend to do *upside-down* cakes like my Momma and Grandma did...in a cast iron skillet. Great post :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  37. Sounds so YUMMY!!! A GREAT!!! recipe for apples. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great looking cake! Fantastic pictures! This was so much fun baking along with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  39. looks fantastic -- I can almost smell it from here!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow, I can't wait to make this! It looks absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Can't believe I didn't see your Apple Upside Down Cake until today. Great pictures and your apples are perfect. Really good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Sugar Chef - Thank you so much for your incredibly gracious words. Coming from you, an actual pastry chef, that's a real compliment! I'm honored.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  43. This looks delicious and is so beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!!
    Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wow...I'm waiting for this cookbook (it's in the mail) and this is the cake I've been wanting to make....looks great and I love your photography!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi! I made this cake last week and served it with the bourbon whipped cream. You made the right choice in serving with the plain whipped cream. The bourbon whipped cream was waaaaayyy to bourbony. Your cake looks lovely. My cake looks exactly like yours -- come visit my blog and see! Natalie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!