Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Baby Chocolate Oblivions - WOW

Baby Chocolate Oblivions Mocha Latte ButterYumBaby Chocolate Oblivion Cakes ButterYumDo you believe in Chocolate Nirvana?

This week's Heavenly Cake Bakers selection - Baby Chocolate Oblivion cakes from Rose's Heavenly Cakes by Rose Levy Beranbaum.

All I can say is WOW - one tiny bite is every bit as good as the finest chocolate truffle. They absolutely melt in your mouth and evoke audible groans of deliciousness from all who sample them.

If you're a chocolate lover, you're going to adore these!


Melting chocolate for baby chocolate oblvions ButterYumThis recipe is so wonderful, yet so easy. Like getting a 4-star dessert from boxed mix.

Start by by melting chocolate, butter, and sugar in a double boiler; set aside. Easy.

For the record, the recipe calls specifically for 60-62% cacao dark chocolate, but I used good ole Nestle's semi-sweet chocolate chips and they worked perfectly well.


heating eggs for baby chocolate oblivions ButterYumNow we whisk the eggs over the same pan of water until the eggs are warm to the touch. This takes only 2-3 minutes. Again, easy.


whipping eggs for baby chocolate oblivions ButterYumThe eggs are then whipped in the stand mixer for 5 minutes until they triple in volume. Really easy.


making baby chocolate oblivions ButterYumThe last step is to gently fold the eggs into the reserved chocolate mixture.
That's it - I told you it was easy!


how to make baby chocolate oblivions ButterYumI poured the batter into a gallon zipper bag so I could easily fill the pans.


how to make baby chocolate oblivions ButterYumThe recipe calls for placing a rack into a 9x13 pan before adding a silicone pan with twelve 4-ounce cavities, but after reading reviews from other Heavenly Cake Bakers, I was confident that my 2-ounce silicone financier pans would be the perfect size for my family. I had to scale the recipe down to 3/4 so I could make eighteen 2-ounce cakes (easy to do if you weigh the ingredients in grams).


Lekue financier pans baby chocolate oblivions ButterYumMy 2 pans were larger than the single pan Rose suggested, but they fit nicely in a 14x17 turkey roasting pan. I had to tuck the 4 outer corners down, but silicone pans are very flexible and they popped right back into shape when I removed them from the roasting pan.


baking baby chocolate oblivions ButterYumI snipped a hole in the corner of the zipper bag and easily filled the pans without any mess. The outer roasting pan is then filled with hot tap water until it reaches 1/2 way up the side of the silicone pan. Then the whole thing goes into the oven for a total of 15 minutes; the baby cakes are uncovered during the first 5 minutes of baking...


Steaming baby chocolate oblivions ButterYum...but during the last 10 minutes, a foil pan is turned upside down and placed over the roasting pan. I imagine this creates a steam bath of some sort which must keep the baby cakes moist.


Cooling baby chocolate oblivions ButterYumHere they are after just 15 short minutes in the oven. Their internal temperature was exactly 150F, just as written in the recipe. They were left on the counter to cool for 45 minutes before heading off to the fridge to chill for a minimum of 4 hours.


Covered Sheet Pan ButterYumI have this nifty covered half sheet pan. It's not airtight, but it kept my baby oblivions well protected during their overnight stay in the fridge.


unmolding baby chocolate oblivions ButterYumThe next morning I tried to remove one of the baby cakes from the silicone pan, but I quickly realized angled corners are not as friendly to delicate chocolate oblivion cakes as a round silicone pan might be, so I threw the pans into the freezer for 2 hours....


How to unmold baby chocolate oblivions ButterYumThat firmed the baby cakes up a little, but not quite enough, so back into the freezer for an additional 4 hours and that was the perfect amount of time needed to make the removal of my half size baby cakes fool proof.


Baby Chocolate Oblivion Cakes ButterYum
I dressed them up with a little piped decoration made from equal parts chocolate Italian meringue buttercream and softened Mascarpone cheese - a divine combination!


Baby Chocolate Oblivion Cakes ButterYumHmmm... I like the idea of a Mocha Latte version of these little guys... topped with chocolate covered coffee beans.  Amazing and dangerously addictive!

Update - I had to send these to my son's office so I wouldn't keep eating them - they were dangerously delicious!!!

As most of you know, the recipes reviewed by the Heavenly Cake Bakers are not shared, but they can be found in Rose's Heavenly Cakes by Rose Levy Beranbaum.






69 comments:

  1. Yum... these look amazing and, well, I already know how they taste :)
    The italian meringue buttercream with marscapone sounds delicious... I will have to try it! Good idea to put them in the freezer.. mine were a little worse for wear after they were unmolded... it's also good to know that they are still good from the freezer as I think someone mentioned that in The Cake Bible Rose says not to freeze..

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! You made the cakes look so yummy! I love how you decorated them! btw, i like your sheet pan with cover!! so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you know it was my birthday today! Thanks for making me these yummy cakes! Now, how am I going to get them to Australia...
    Best wishes, Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Girlfriend...

    Ooooh...your little cakes look and sound divine! I think I would like the milk chocolate chips better than the dark too! The recipe is easy enough...I would love to give these a try but will have to get the silicone baking pans! Thanks for sharing your recipe...Mmmm, I can almost smell them baking! Hehe!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully decorated! Now I am intrigued by a mocha latte oblivion...yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. may a raise the red flag, i wonder how much deflation happens when using the zip lock bag or a piping bag to fill the pans. also, cake bible says not to freeze these cakes as the texture changes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone.

    Faithy - the sheet pan with cover is from the Martha Stewart line at K-Mart. I've had it for a year or two.

    Rebecca and Hector - I know The Cake Bible warns against freezing the large version of this recipe, but Rose's Heavenly Cakes did not warn against freezing the baby cakes, and there was no discernible difference in texture after only 6 hours in the freezer. They did not freeze solid, but were firm enough to remove from the pan without damaging them. I say go for it!

    Hector - there didn't appear to be any, or only the slightest deflation of the batter. Not enough to concern me - nor any of my taste testers!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Natasha -

    Happy Birthday To You,
    Happy Birthday To You,
    Happy Birthday Dear Natasha,
    Happy Birthday To You!

    Hope you have a great birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Already seen these on Rose's forum but wanted to see your account of making them, I really must try these but possibly use some other silicone cases as I don't have the financiers. Your pictures are always so great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry I forgot to put my name to my comment, I'm Jeannette!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! This looks moist and soft. Definitely nice to eat too :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty cakes Patricia! I love the way you decorate it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun individual portion type recipe. If I had silicone pans I would try this because it looks delicious.
    joyce

    ReplyDelete
  14. Um, I just want to say that those cakes look amazing. That is like the perfect shape to eat easily without making a mess. (that is what i look for in recipes and molds)

    Thanks for sharing! I'm inspired to bake different shapes now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jeannette - I knew it was you! :)

    Thanks so much everyone - they were fun to make, but even more fun to eat. As a matter of fact, I called my son and told him to expect a delivery this afternoon at his office because I have to get these things away from my mouth!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. First time here..That Looks so delish and chocolatey...very tempting clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look fantastic! Brilliant using the plastic bag. The topping sounds utterly delish.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG! These look amazing! Your pictures are wonderful. I might have to get this book.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous, Gorgeous, Gorgeous! You are a very talented baker and photographer :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW. I mean, WOW! Chocolate heaven! I wish you were my neighbor, then I could come over and sample them!

    I love the idea of having a IMB & marscarpone frosting mixture! What could be better than two of my favorite frostings mixed together in one?? I'll definitely have to try it! Thanks for the ingenious idea!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Holy moly cow heck wow geesh. Do I sound at all like Ned Flanders yet?

    These are amazing. Seriously. You could sell them in a high end pastry shop Patricia.

    Oh and yes. I ate many caramels. I call it the baking tax.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  23. They look great! I love the addition of the frosting to provide a contrast to the dense chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are beautiful P!
    I love how beautifully the marscarpone butter cream topping pipes! Wonderful idea...

    ReplyDelete
  25. You did a fantastic job with these!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my! Everyone's Baby Oblivions look great, but yours are prettiest of all! What a great job you did!

    Glad to know they froze well for a little while. I may try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are just beautiful and I know they are so so tasty. You did a perfect job on them!!
    I don't have all the pans needed for this so will just enjoy looking at your pretty photos. Thanks for the recipe...
    Happy Friday..
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! Those look amazing and I can't wait to try them. Thanks for sharing.....Denise

    ReplyDelete
  29. WOW!!! is right. These look wonderful and yummy!!!
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are absolutely beautiful! You did such a wonderful job that these look like they were made by a professional.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yes! WOW is the best way to describe these chocolate wonders! Great post! Great recipe! Thanks for sharing and have a fabulous FOODIE FRIDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, my goodness....chocolate, mascarpone cheese and coffee....the holy trinity!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  33. These definitely look like they came from a high class restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love those little silicon trays. I bet they are very useful. Thanks for this chocolicious post!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Do you think someone could live on these and these alone? :) Starbucks addiction move over! These look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful job on those!!!!! Even I would love them even though I am not a huge chocolate person.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What I wouldn't give to taste one of your baby cakes! I love chocolate and what a delightful combination of ingredients. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh my gosh, these look so good. I actually do bake, so the this recipe doesn't scare me. I don't have "cavity" pans (never needed them) but I may have to take care of that problem. What does scare me is that my husband doens't like chocolate and I would eat them all. Are they soft and runny on the inside like a lava cake?

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh my goodness...these look divine. I love your pictures! I can almost taste them. (Your two day project was a great success!)

    ReplyDelete
  40. these look fabulous! must pick up small silicone cake pans!

    (positivelycupcakes in disguise!)

    ReplyDelete
  41. These things seriously are still tormenting me. Can you put something healthy up yet? I need to stop licking my screen.

    ReplyDelete
  42. P., those are soooo beautiful! Your tip about freezing making them easier to unmold is much appreciated! Where did you get your pans? Julie

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh my=what a great blog you have. You are quite the "chef" and make it all look so easy with the photos and explanations. You are gifted on many levels. Thanks for sharing.

    Thanks for stopping by. Hope you will come again. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks everyone... you sure know how to make my day!

    Sue - they are not molten inside... they're just like eating a chocolate truffle, but not quite as dense. They truly melt in your mouth.

    Julie - I bought the pans on Amazon. They're 100% silicone. This particular shape is sold by a few manufacturers - sometimes called financier pans, bar pans, mini muffin pans. They indentations are 1/4 cup (or 2 oz). They're just big enough for 2-3 bites lady like bites. One for hungry teens and men!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  45. These look amazing. Thanks for sharing your delicious recipe. I want to find some of those pans!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Ok, I am officially SWOONING over these chocolate cakes. amazing doesn't even begin to describe their gloriousness --- not only would they taste divine, but they look divine, too.

    This is what I want on my tea tray in Heaven.

    YUM. But you make it look so easy~!!!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  47. OMG, these look so good and pretty. I am craving for one now!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  48. You.Are.Killing.Me.Seriously.
    OMG! I want to eat my computer! I am a dessert girl. I saw the pot roast and thought of my husband. I saw this and thought of me. Love it. You are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Your photos are gorgeous -- all of them. These are particularly great because this recipe is yum.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Sadly, there are far too many of my photos on TasteStopping ;).

    ReplyDelete
  51. Is there somewhere that I can get the proportions to this recipe? I think my family would love this at Thanksgiving.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Yes - the recipe is available in Rose's Heavenly Cakes by Rose Levy Beranbaum.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Oh my goodness this looks fantastic. Such beautiful little bites of chocolatey goodness! :) I love the fact that they're "baby" sized too, makes them look much cuter!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Baby in size only... the flavor is HUGE!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  55. Stunning and perfectly sized in the financier moulds. I will definitely use them next time I make these.

    You did a fantastic job and they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  56. wow these look phenomenal! i love the size.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Today I decided to make the chocolate oblivions everyone raves about. Of course, first I looked in the RHC but everything began to swim around - racks in waterbaths, aluminum foil tops, etc., etc. I thought, hmm - I know where to go for simplification of this - I will bet Patricia will have it. Et voila. .Pared down easy. And fabulous with no brain-teasing and even gorgeous pictures. I am a happy camper. I have certainly made many of Rose's beautiful cakes but today I just wanted exactly what I found here. Thanks, as alwlays, joan

    ReplyDelete
  58. Hi Joan - Happy New Year!!

    You put a big smile on my face :). I'm so glad you found this blog entry helpful. Please let me know how the baby oblivions turn out for you!

    Take care,
    P

    ReplyDelete
  59. wow Gorgeous. What piping tip did you use for that lovely swirly wavy frosting.and any instructions on how to do it-Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  60. Thank you so much. I used a simple star tip and just swirled it on. It's really pretty easy if you practice a little.

    I'll have to think about doing a tutorial sometime. Thanks for the suggestion.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  61. could you please list the quantities of the ingredients? thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  62. thanks, but i cant find quantities of the ingredients :(((

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bakers in this group agreed to not publish the recipes but you can find it here
      http://knittybaker.blogspot.com/2009/11/baby-chocolate-oblivion.html?m=1

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!