Thursday, November 5, 2009

Boning a Boston Butt Pork Roast

I'll be posting a really delicious recipe for a slow-cooked, old fashioned pork roast... one that called for a boneless Boston Butt Pork Roast (also known as a shoulder butt roast).

As I was preparing the roast for the oven, I realized there was one little problem... my roast wasn't boneless. I had no idea how to remove the bone, but I gave it a go and it wasn't anywhere near as hard as I thought it would be, so don't be afraid to try it yourself sometime. Here's what I did...

I started with a 6 1/2 pound bone-in roast (6 pounds after the bone was removed). I dried the roast well with paper towels to keep it from slip-sliding all over the place. Then I located the bone and, using a very sharp boning knife, I started trimming with long shallow stokes against the bone, pulling the meat away from the bone as I went along.

I just followed the contour of the bone and within a matter of minutes, I had the
weird shaped blade bone completely removed. It was so easy!





9 comments:

  1. I don't often cook meat of this quanity. It's nice to be reminded that someday I can if needed. Great post Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to be a dummy--is there a reason to take the bone out? I loved pork roast growing up, but I don't remember if it had a bone or not. I am having a giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great question Susan. Yes, there is a reason to use a boneless roast. This particular recipe is served in slices - after a long, slow roasting period (7 hours), and an overnight rest in the fridge after that, the roast is sliced into 1/4-inch slices, reheated in the oven, and served with a sauce made from the reduced pan drippings plus a couple other ingredients.

    Thanks for asking!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  4. I anxiously await the recipe--thanks for answering my question!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura - you must be wondering where my next post it... working on it.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please post the recipe! Thanks for the confidence i needed to debone this beast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha - here you go Nick.

    http://butteryum.blogspot.com/2009/11/old-fashioned-pork-roast.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to eat some pork roast because I think that it is so delicious and very nice to cook.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!