Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Really Yummy Baked Oatmeal

Need a really simple breakfast that can feed a hungry crowd, can be prepared far ahead of time, requires no attention while baking, is completely satisfying, and fills the house with the most wonderful aroma of cinnamon? Look no further than this baked oatmeal recipe.

I know it doesn't look very appetizing, but don't confuse this wonderful stuff with the mushy instant prepackaged variety - this oatmeal is lightly sweetened, has a wonderful almost chewy texture, and the flavor is buttery and Cinnamony. I serve it with just a splash of cold milk, but you can add dried fruits or nuts if you like. For a slightly healthier version, you can reduce the butter by half and sprinkle in a little wheat germ or flaxseed, but for company I make the recipe as is.

You'll be asked for this recipe again and again!
Hope you'll give it a try.



Baked Oatmeal

serves 4-6 (recipe can easily be multiplied - see note below)

1 1/2 cups quick oats
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix ingredients together and pour into a greased 9" square baking dish (or an 11x7 dish, or a deep dish pie plate). Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes. Be careful to not crowd your baking dish, this oatmeal puffs up a bit while baking.

Note:
Double recipe fits in a 9x13 dish - bake 35-40 minutes.
Triple recipe fits in an 11x14 dish - bake 45-50 minutes.

26 comments:

  1. They way you make the photos really good...makes me feel peckish hmmmm....

    Thanks for sharing

    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patricia, this is something my little girl would love to eat at breakfast time. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. So this is going to my inlaws house this Christmas day! Sounds yummy! Ever tried it wil caramel syrup?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I come and live at your house?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So this is what obsessive cake makers eat for breakfast. Hmmm. For some reason I thought it would be cake and coffee. ;)

    I’ll be force-feeding this to my 8-year-old-who-hates-everything-but toast tomorrow morning. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am bookmarking this page and making this soon! It sounds amazing and perfect for these cold months.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for commenting on my blog today and the hint about the pencil and the mixer:)
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love oatmeal especially in the winter! I'll have to try this.

    Thanks for stopping by and visiting Linderhof.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will definitely be making this next week. It looks really tasty. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. perfect for a cold morning jumpstart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there. Just wanted to stop by and thank you for stopping by my site. As far as the coconut oil, yes it's the stuff that is solid at room temp. You don't have to melt it or anything for this recipe. Just measure it out solid. Your oatmeal looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yum! i think this looks amazingly appetizing! i've never had baked oatmeal before, but now i might have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm passing this on to my cousin. Every time the family gets together she does oatmeal in a slow cooker overnight and honey, I declare, I could bottle it and sell it as craft glue!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We love oatmeal but I'v never made it this way. I'll have to remedy that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh- this sounds amazing and comforting.

    Thanks-

    Can't wait to try it!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  16. We love baked oatmeal and would like to try your recipe too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks scrumptious. I'm reading your blog at breakfast time and this is calling my name!
    Robin
    All Things Heart and Home

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi. I just recently found your blog and made the bite sized biscuits with cheddar for a brunch I'm going to in 1 hour. They are perfect for what I need. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So neat! I love oatmeal for breakfast but I've never heard of baking it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, Yum Patricia - and what a surprise for my husband who loooves his oatmeal. Anything from Irish oatmeal to instant oatmeal. He will absolutely be in Heaven eating this.! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. joan

    ReplyDelete
  21. this sounds great and perfect on a cold morning! I have never heard of baking it but why not? I must try this for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE baked oatmeal -- we substitute applesauce for the butter... can't even taste the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Its in the oven right now! Look delish! Thanks for sharing this little piece of heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I prepared this recipe and it is delicious and so simple to do it and besides it is so cheap delicious and healthy the most important things in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Healthy breakfast it is fine co'z is a good form to start the day I wiil prepare this all my mornings.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!