Thursday, January 21, 2010

Maple Glazed Acorn Squash

Oven Roasted Acorn Squash ButterYumHere's a recipe I found on the website Food Wishes. Chef John has a great site chock full of recipes, videos, and lots of wonderful humor. I urge you to set aside several hours when you visit because you'll be tempted to click video after video after video - believe me, I know.

So anyway, I had this acorn squash sitting around and decided to give it the Chef John treatment - oven roasted with a touch of fresh orange juice and glazed with a butter, brown sugar, maple syrup glaze - hello.


Preheat oven to 400F. CAREFULLY cut the acorn squash and scrape out the seeds. Hint - you can stabilize the squash in your impeccably clean sink drain if you're nervous about it moving around while you try to cut it in half. You can also bunch up a tea towel and make a well to nest the quash in. Also, Chef John shows how to slowly and carefully cut and score the squash in his video.


Okay, now you carefully score the inside of the squash with 1/4-inch deep score marks; do this in a crisscross fashion. Place the squash in a baking dish and brush with freshly squeezed orange juice. Sprinkle with Kosher salt and bake for 30 minutes.


At the end of 30 minutes, make the glaze by combining the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, and cayenne in a non-stick pan over med-high heat.


Bring to a boil for 1 full minute.


ButterYum Maple Glazed Acorn SquashBrush the glaze all over the squash and return them to the 400F oven for 40 minutes. If your glaze starts to firm up before you use it, return it to the heat for just a moment.

When done, allow the squash to sit for a few minutes. The glaze will thicken as it pools in the bottom of each squash half; redistribute the glaze, season with salt and pepper. Serve.



ButterYum Maple Glazed Acorn SquashLunch for me.


and....
(warning for those who don't like cute little critters)

.


.


.

...lunch for DD's hamster too!


Maple Glazed Acorn Squash
recipe makes 1 - increase as needed

1 acorn squash, cut in half and seeded
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
sprinkle of Kosher salt

1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon maple syrup (the real stuff please)
itty-bitty pinch of cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 400F. Score halved squash and brush with freshly squeezed orange juice and sprinkle lightly with Kosher Salt. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Make glaze by combining the maple syrup, brown sugar, butter, and cayenne; boil for a minute and brush on squash halves. Return to oven for another 40 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve.

30 comments:

  1. We love these very hard to cut squash! :) Your recipe sounds so good and I'll have to try this.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I love squash. This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful. I must try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh YUMMY Girl...I love winter squash and I'll try this one for sure...You always have the best and YUMMY looking food here..Thanks for sharing...Hope your doing great my friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do this too! Then I sprinkle it with goat cheese and bacon. Ahhh heaven.

    Why does it not surprise me you make this too lol?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow looks good! I'm deprived - I've never tried a squash before!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never know what to do with these when I pass them in the grocery store--now I do! I can't wait to check out the Food Wishes web site. Your pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love acorn squash prepared just this way. If I make it for myself, I don't bother to score it so beautifully and just through the butter and brown sugar right in the squash and let it melt in the oven :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks decadent, doesn't it??! I am of the firm opinion that not enough people use squashes and yams (other than at Thanksgiving). I'm thinking tonight might be butternut squash risotto. Mmm...
    Gorgeous post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to fix acorn squash like this quite a bit, but haven't lately. Yours looks delish, and reminds me that I need to fix this again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could just dive in and have a bite at that mouth watering squash! Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i simply love veggies, and squash being a fav...this has taken my heart!


    and i have to say...your granite countertop is lovely too! what is the name for that variation?

    ReplyDelete
  13. My daughter makes a similar recipe and we love it! This looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Muse - the granite is Giallo Napoleon. It's an overall brownish/taupe color with flecks of black, cranberry - lots of sparkle. I love :0

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  15. How delicious is that? I bought a butternut squash a few days ago. How long do those usually last? I'm just starting to venture into cooking things I've never made before, so I'm taking baby steps. :) This squash looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kimberly - you're going to love it! Acorn squash, along with other winter squash varieties, last a looooooooooooooooooooong time - weeks, and weeks, and weeks. I just keep them on the counter in a big bowl and use them as needed.

    Let me know if you give this recipe a try.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks so yummy. I love squash but I so rarely cook it at home. Do you, or can you, eat the skin? I notice it wasn't peeled.

    The critter is adorable, perfect fit in the squash!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi April - thanks for visiting. I don't think you eat the skin of acorn squash, or other winter squash. It's kind of hard like a shell. It softens a bit in the oven, but I don't think you'd enjoy it.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks! I made the mistake of eating an inedible part of a crab once so it's always good to ask and look stupid before eating than after. I look stupid either way but at least I don't get a stomach ache. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that you cut it in squares before baking - great idea thanks! ~ Mary

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks very good! I love that you share it with the hamster!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was enamored with the squash, but now I just wish I could play with that little cutie! I love that... Cam

    ReplyDelete
  23. I want to eat this so bad! I'm going to have to make it soon. When I scrolled down, the hamster startled me. LOL! He's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks delicious--the squash that is. ;) That little guy looks so cute I thought he was a toy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awww, what a sweet little guy! Mmmm, this looks yummy. Tonight I happened to roast Sweet Potatoes and they were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Patricia...

    Mmmm...I love acorn squash fixed this way! I don't know why but it seems like the perfect food for autumn...doesn't it? Thanks for sharing your yummy recipe with us today for Sunday Favorites! Ohhh...and your little hamster is just adorable! Hehe!

    Warmest autumn wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your photo with the hamster is so adorable. But, I have a feeling that you did not find it so cute sitting in the middle of your lunch, after all that hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I had seen excellent recipes made of pumpkins but never something delicious like this,I'll prepare it tomorrow I know my relatives will be delighted with it, by the way what a funny image the last one.m10m

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!