Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Chicken Chili, White Chili... Whatever you call it.

Chicken Chili ButterYumThis chili post was requested by a friend (hi Janet!). It's a wonderful week night meal relying on dried herbs, leftover chicken, canned beans, and prepackaged chicken stock. Of course you can spiff it up by using homemade chicken stock and dried beans that you've cooked yourself. So, without further adieu, let's get started.


Making white chicken chili ButterYumFor this batch, I used cooked chicken thighs that I purchased at Costco for less than $2 per pound. Leftover chicken works equally well, doesn't matter if it's light or dark meat.


Making white chicken chili ButterYumNext we saute the onions. Mmmm... the aroma of onions cooking drives me crazy!


Making white chicken chili ButterYumTime to add the flavor - black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, cumin, Kosher salt, and oregano.


Making white chicken chili ButterYumSauteing the herbs with the onions gives them a flavor boost.


Making white chicken chili ButterYumDon't be alarmed when you see browned bits form on the bottom of your pan, just don't let them burn.


Making white chicken chili ButterYumTime to add the chicken stock and reserved chicken...


Making white chicken chili ButterYum...and the beans (and optional green chilies). Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.


Making white chicken chili ButterYumRemove from heat and stir in dried parsley.


Making white chicken chili ButterYumJust before serving, stir in sour cream and heavy cream.


white chili ButterYumGarnish and serve. Enjoy!



Chicken Chili
Printable Recipe
Serves 6-8

2 pounds diced chicken, about 3 cups (white or dark, cooked or not, whatever you have)
1 medium onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced (or 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder - not garlic salt)
2 (two) 15.5-ounce cans Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (or any light colored bean - great northern, pinto, black eyed peas)
4 cups homemade chicken stock (low sodium if using canned)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (more if you like it hot)
8 ounces sour cream (low fat is fine. Plain yogurt can also be used)
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons dried parsley
Optional:  if you like it spicy, add a 4-ounce can of diced green chilies

Garnish:
sour cream
shredded cheese (pepper jack, cheddar, etc)
chopped scallions
chopped cilantro

Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed soup pot over med-high heat. If using leftover chicken, skip this first step. If using uncooked chicken, lightly season the chicken with salt and pepper and saute in the heated oil until browned (no need to cook completely at this stage). Remove chicken; reserve. In the same pan, saute onions until slightly browned; add salt, pepper, garlic, cayenne, oregano, and cumin. Continue to cook for a few minutes to "bloom" the flavor of the herbs. Add chicken stock, chicken, beans, and optional green chilies to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream, heavy cream, and parsley. Garnish and serve.

Note - 1 pound cooked dried beans is equal to 2 cans.

31 comments:

  1. Oh YUM! I do love a white chili and will definitely try your recipe! Great minds must think alike-I posted on leftover chicken today too! LOL
    xoxo pattie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing. I love chicken chili and this is slightly different than what I've made in the past. I'm saving this one.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are amazing! They make me hungry. This looks like a really good recipe - thanks for sharing.

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks fantastic. Will have to give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the spice combination - we have a similar one and, like yours, is a classic winter staple. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just when I was yearning for a lemon pork chop, you present chicken chili ~~~ what's a woman to do? Love both recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a big chili lover but I have always wanted to try chicken (white) chili to see if I like it better. However, since I'm not a big chili lover, I've never made it a priority to find a chicken chili recipe. ;) This sounds pretty good and certainly easy enough so I might just have to try this out soon.

    Also, thanks for stopping by and entering my giveaway. No need for email address as I can notify you here. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shari - The term chili is really misleading if you ask me. This is more of a flavorful cream soup with chicken and beans.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my that looks delicious!! I am up north and this would be perfect for a snowed in night!!! Fabulous pictures too..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that looks so delicious! Now I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. MMMMMMMMMM that looks delicious never thought of chicken chili before. It looks easy to make too. I am going through my blogs and I am finding alot of good yummies to make this week!

    http://www.skippingskones.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must admit that I've seen white chili several times but have never tried/tried making it. Yours looks delicious...

    j

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love chili, it's so warming. I have never made it with chicken....I think this is the next one I make.

    This is definitely cold and snowy weather food, it looks great!

    Thanks!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy! I don't have a special white chili... I do now! I would like to post this in 2 weeks for my menu plan. I'll post a link to this post. Yummy, again!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooooh, boy! This sure looks delicious! I am really starved now.

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the combination of spices in this WONDERFUL!!! recipe.

    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been wanting to try white chili. It sounds and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been looking for a great white chicken chili recipe... this one looks to be it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks delicious! Need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Chicken Chili and I love it all different ways. In December I posted my favorite, its secret ingredient is Peach Chutney from Georgia. Quick, simple and yummy. I talked about my friend Randy who was the King of Chili (rated #3 in the country by Bon Appetit), so every time I see a recipe like this, it reminds me of my dear friend. Thank you for bringing his memory to me today and for sharing another recipe I've already printed out!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this, and think it should definitely become our Wednesday 'supper' treat along with a bitter green salad with a great vinaigrette! Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks wonderful!

    "White Chicken Chili", is a family favorite, here at home and is usually ordered when we have lunch at Lewis and Clark's Restaurant in Historic Saint Charles, MO.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never made a white chili before. It's simmering on the stove now and smells wonderful! I can't wait to taste it. I think the kids will enjoy it too.

    p.s. my midwife confirmed that my growth and measuring is normal for 23 weeks and I am only having one baby. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. HI,
    Thanks for posting this recipe... Really i like it.. Looking delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  25. Do give this a try. I have a recipe that is very similar except for certain portions of spices, and it won first place at two chili cook-offs! It is really a different, yummy while chili.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Chicken Chili is similar than a recipe that I know,its !consisting of parboiled chicken, chili peppers, and spices, all stir-fried with vegetable oil and vinegar. It is one of the signature dishes of Hunan chefs.!!22dd

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks delicious! Anyone ever tried it with Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!