Friday, February 5, 2010

Coeur a la Creme - Ooh-la-la!

Coeur a la Creme ButterYumCoeur a la Creme - Ooh-la-la!

How to make Coeur a la Creme ButterYumThe cast of characters - cream cheese, heavy cream, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and vanilla bean seeds - Hello! What's not to love?

I can't think of a more perfect Valentine's Day Dessert.

You'll also need some cheesecloth and a coeur a la creme mold.
Alternates for both listed further down, so keep reading.


This is a traditional French porcelain coeur a la creme mold ($24 plus s&h from Sur la Table) - sorry for the small pic. I'm not at all fond of the shape this porcelain mold gives to the finished creme (too pointy and weird shaped at the top), so I decided to make my own.


How to make a Coeur a la Creme Mold ButterYumI found this plastic candy dish at Wal-Mart for $1.50. I simply drilled holes in the bottom and voila, a coeur a la creme mold in a more pleasing puffy heart shape.


You don't need a heart-shaped mold to make this yummy dessert. You can use a mesh sieve if you prefer.


Making Coeur a la Creme ButterYumThe French porcelain molds have little feet on the bottom. My homemade mold doesn't, so here I'm using a mixing bowl to suspend the mold and catch the liquid as it drains.


Making Coeur a la Creme ButterYumA bird's eye view of the set-up.


Coeur a la Creme ButterYumBefore we begin mixing the ingredients together, let's line our mold with cheesecloth. You can use coffee filters or paper towels if you don't have cheesecloth.


Making Coeur a la Creme ButterYumTime to mix the ingredients. In the bowl of a stand mixer, place the softened cream cheese and sift the confectioner's sugar on top.


sift to remove lumpsI always sift clumpy ingredients like powdered sugar and cocoa powder.
Lumps can easily be pushed through with a wooden spoon.


BeaterBladeI know I sound like a broken record, but I LOVE by BeaterBlade attachment.
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. If you own a stand mixer, you need to get one!

Combine the sugar and cream cheese and beat on high for 2 minutes
Next we'll add the vanilla extract and vanilla bean seeds.


Vanilla Bean ButterYumTo extract the vanilla bean seeds, split the bean in half...


Vanilla Bean Seeds ButterYum... and scrape out the seeds with back of your knife.


Vanilla Caviar ButterYumMmmm. Look at all of that yummy flavor!


Make Vanilla Sugar ButterYumDon't throw that vanilla bean away - use it to make vanilla sugar. Simply submerge used seed pods in granulated sugar and store in an airtight container. Keep adding bean pods and sugar and you'll always have a supply for cookies, desserts, beverages... whatever.
Good stuff!


Making Coeur a la Creme ButterYumBeat in the vanilla extract and vanilla bean seeds. See all those yummy vanilla specks?


Making Coeur a la Creme ButterYumAdd the heavy cream and replace the paddle with the whip attachment. Beat on high until stiff peaks form.


Making Coeur a la Creme ButterYumPour the mixture into the prepared mold. It's okay to have a little extra - the mixture will shrink a little as it drains.


Making Coeur a la Creme ButterYumWrap the excess cheesecloth over the top and place the mold in a container to catch the liquid that will eventually seep out.


Making Coeur a la Creme ButterYumI ran into an unexpected problem when I placed my filled mold in my mixing bowl to drain. The mold was kind of top heavy and it kept tilting sideways, so I placed some plastic wrap around the rim of the bowl which held the mold firmly in place.


Molding Coeur a la Creme ButterYumDairy products are notorious for absorbing refrigerator odors - not that there are any in MY refrigerator, but you never know when one of the teens is going to put some leftover Chinese take-out in there. So just to be on the safe side, wrap your Coeur a la Creme well with plastic before it goes into the fridge overnight.


Unmolding Coeur a la Creme ButterYumHere we are after 24 hours. See how the creme has compressed a bit. The cheesecloth is saturated with moisture.


and look at all the liquid that drained into the bowl.


unmolding Coeur a la Creme ButterYumTime to place the finished Creme on a serving dish.


unmolding Coeur a la Creme ButterYumRemove the mold. Lift straight up so you don't mar the soft surface of the Creme.


unmolding Coeur a la Creme ButterYumCarefully peel away the cheesecloth which leaves a neat textured impression.


making chocolate sauce ButterYum
If I was serving this dessert on a white platter, I would have made a red fruit sauce (strawberry, raspberry), but since I'm using a red platter, I thought a chocolate sauce would be more appropriate. I made a simple sauce by combining 1 part chocolate to 2 parts heavy cream, over med heat; stirring constantly until combined. Allow to cool before using.


I garnished with some wild black raspberries I had stashed in the freezer.
Voila!


Coeur a la Creme
French translation - Heart has the Cream
adapted from Barefoot in Paris by Ina Garten
serves 4-6


6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar, sifted to remove lumps
1 1/4 cups heavy cream, cold
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
seeds from 1/2 of a vanilla bean

In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment (or better yet, a BeaterBlade attachment), slowly combine the softened cream cheese and the confectioner's sugar until the risk of spewing powdered sugar all over your kitchen has passed. Increase speed to high and beat for 2 minutes. Turn the mixer off. Add vanilla extract and vanilla seeds, combine on low. Add cream and continue to combine on low until incorporated (scrape sides of the bowl if needed). Turn mixer off and replace the paddle attachment with the whip attachment. Whip mixture on high until stiff peaks form. Pour mixture into a cheesecloth lined mold. Place mold in a bowl to catch the juices that drain. Cover well with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Unmold, garnish, and serve.


Chocolate Sauce
makes about 1 1/4 cups

4 ounces bitter-sweet chocolate
8 ounces heavy cream

In a heavy bottomed pan over med heat, melt chocolate and cream together; stirring constantly. Cool before using.


Serving suggestion - hand each of your guests a spoon and watch them dig in!



Tip:
Cream cheese will dry out quickly if exposed to the air, so be sure to keep it wrapped while coming to room temperature.

If you're pressed for time, you can quickly bring cream cheese to room temperature by placing it in a sturdy zip-top storage bag and knead it for a few minutes. It will soften up in no time flat.


62 comments:

  1. Wow! We're having dinner guests on Feb 13th so maybe I will serve this for dessert. There will be four kids there who I know would LOVE to dig into this with a spoon. I am totally intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty yummy, and not overly sweet. If I were to serve this only to kids, I might add a bit more sugar. Taste the mix before you pour it into the mold to see if it's as sweet as you think it needs to be.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I WILL try this. I have a recipe I've used, but you made this look SO good that I NEED to try yours. Now to find that darn mold......
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your creativity in making your own mold. The dessert looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one helluva dessert! AND right up my alley with all that vanilla bean seed YUMMMMMM!!!
    I've been himming and hawing over that blade attachment - thanks for the push. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks so good, Patricia! Jeannette.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patricia, you are amazing! What a creative way to make your own mold. And it looks so pretty in pink (much better than Sur La Table's). I love all the step by step pictures and the final product. Looks like it came from a high end restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant to make your own mold. It is beautiful and sounds delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh-la-la is right. What a great dessert! Your step by step directions make it sound so easy to make. I haven't seen the BeaterBlade attachment.......something to look into. Have a great weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your talent in the kitchen is amazing!!! I'm not even going to pretend that I can pull this thing off, but boy I'm gonna try!!! Thanks for sharing!
    ~Holly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone. Don't let the plethora of photos scare you. This is an extremely easy dessert to prepare!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this. You are so right... vanilla, powdered sugar and cream cheese = major goodness! I appreciate your tutorial and also the added trip you made to store the vanilla beans in sugar to make a flavored vanilla sugar. Neat! Thanks much!

    Happy Foodie Friday...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are fearless in the kitchen!! I want to grow up to be just like you! Great job on the beautiful creation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a fantastic post. I made this years ago with a raspberry sauce and absolutely loved it. Yours looks amazing. The chocolate sauce sounds wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea to make the mold yourself! It looks wonderful..
    Thanks for the excellent tutorial..def going in the to try folder!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh WOW! My kind of dessert. I like the simplicity of the flavors. Your presentation is fabulous. Definitely one I want to try. Vanilla bean.....Delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is deliciously looking and a gorgeous delight..Can I come over for a piece? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Patricia that looks divine! As always your photography is really helpful and your little hints are fantastic-thank you!

    Thanks also for your lovely comment and,of course, for visiting-I really appreciate it.

    Best wishes for a great weekend, Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Patricia,

    This is such a beautiful dessert! And how clever you are to make your own inexpensive mold. Did you use the whey in anything?

    ReplyDelete
  20. A woman who is handy with power tools and kitchen gadgets!!! Very clever idea to make your own pan and much less expensive. I have never heard of this, but it has all my favorite ingredients! I am just afraid I wouldn't share :) Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Kathleen - funny you should ask. When I was cleaning up, I casually poured the whey right down the drain without thinking... then the lovely aroma of VANILLA hit my nose and I realized how dumb I was.

    What would you have done with it?

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a fantastic post. The tutorial is so wonderful, I felt as if I were with you in the kitchen. Your Walmart heart is a brilliant touch.
    XX00

    ReplyDelete
  23. That looks so good and I love the step by step pictures. Great post...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so glad you visited me, it made me come visit you! I swear I gained 5 pounds just reading this recipe. It looks so good and so pretty!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for visiting. And you are right about that pan not being able to cover a larger family. My 19 year old was at work til after 10 and of course my Marine is away. If they had been here to eat, I would have had to had two iron skillets, or just use my deep regular skillet as the 2nd.
    I scrolled down to the roasted cauliflower, garlic and onions and boy does that look like it would be a winner around here. It's just after it is eaten, I need to go away to a movie or actually a double feature until all the after effects wear off at home. (Can I say that on commenters posts???) Yikes! Glad to have found you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow..i've never heard of this dessert before!! Looks so good! I love the heart shape bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for stopping by my site and leaving so many wonderful comments - you're so sweet :)

    I've seen The Barefoot Contessa (Ina Garten) make couer a la creme so many times but have never tried it myself. Yours looks great and I love the tip about making your own mold with the candy dish - awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That looks awesome!! And terrible for my diet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful Patricia! You're so creative!!! Love that you drilled holes in that heart shaped bowl. So smart!! I had never heard of this dessert until a few weeks ago when I read Molly Wizenberg's book "A Homemade Life". She has a recipe of it in her book. It sounded pretty good. But looking at your pictures, I really want to give it a try sometime. Great job, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Came back to look again! And yes, I must buy myself one of those blades!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a brilliant idea to make your own coeur mold! It turned out beautifully and sounds so good. I like that it's not too sweet.

    Yes, I need to get a beater blade.

    ReplyDelete
  32. OMGosh! This dessert looks divine! I will try this sonetime this month for sure. I'm going to get fat this Feb. I tell you!lol

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh my! That looks so luscious and fancy! I love the ring of chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh wow this looks delicious, love your homemade dish. And also the beater blade thanks for the tip! I haven't seen that before.

    ReplyDelete
  35. MMm, that looks wonderful! I'd love to try it...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Don't look now but I am drooling because this is making my mouth water. You are so clever to invent your heart dish from Wallyworld!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  37. A true masterpiece of yumminess! Your creative Valentine dish is ingenious. Thank You for the wonderful tutorial!

    Enjoy a happy Weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I have never made one of these... the mold, your presentation... perfect and so impressive! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great idea for the coeur:) What a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I never try anything like this, look really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oooyeah!...that looks amazing, I could go for some of that!
    Thank You for visiting DOWNLOBLOLLYLANE, the honey roasted pork loin was good,and yes it was two small loins instead of one large thanks for asking and being interested, I enjoy blogging with creative people like yourself!Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  42. AS ALWAYS YOU ARE THE MOST CLEVER, WITH THE MOST UNIQUE IDEAS, SOLUTIONS, AND THE VERY BEST TASTE - IN ALL SENSES! THANKS SO MUCH FOR SUCH A GORGEOUS PRESENTATION, COMPLETE WITH YOUR FAB PHOTOGRAPHY. JOAN

    ReplyDelete
  43. You are brilliant! I love it that you made your own mold. I have always wanted to try this recipe but didn't want to spring for the mold. Crafty girl!

    ReplyDelete
  44. WOW! This is SO incredibly COOL! I've never heard of anything like this! And it's SO beautiful! I love the presentation! What an awesome dessert!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Yummy!! Beautiful too!! The link you put on my blog isn't working right, but I found this anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi, I've just happened upon your blog and I just love it! This recipe looks divine. And how inventive to use the candy dish! Look forward to following your posts

    ReplyDelete
  47. Gorgeous pics!! This looks so tasty! We have the same granite for the countertops.

    ReplyDelete
  48. It looks so delicious! I would love to make this for my Valentine, except I would have to stock up on all the tools!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Oh, that looks so pretty and delicious! I love your heart-shaped mould.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh my goodness, this looks SO good! I am gaining weight just READING all the deliciousness out here on these blogs!!!! Thanks for all the wonderful pictures. The sauce (and berries) look devine!!!!!!!!!!!! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  51. This looks so good!! I'm trying not to drool over it...

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love Coeur a la Creme!

    I never thought of making it with a seive instead. I like that idea as well.

    An inexpensive source for cheesecloth is Lowe's. I had my husband pick up some for me a few months back, and it was about 1/3 of the price I had seen it for elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hi Patricia! congratulations! you have been selected as the winner of my Valentine recipe carnival! Please email me using the Contact form on my site so I can get your details to ship you your prize!!:)

    Mansi
    http://funandfoodcafe.com

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hi, I just made this and while it's delicious, mine didn't drain at all. Any idea what went wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  55. Hmmmm - how long did it sit in the refrigerator? Did your cheesecloth get saturated? If so, perhaps it absorbed all the liquid. If your creme held it's shape nicely, I wouldn't worry about it.

    Yummy stuff!
    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  56. It was in the fridge almost 24 hours, and no, the cheesecloth was not saturated in the least. The creme did hold its heart shape nicely, however. I just don't understand how some (most?) get so much whey and others none at all. Seems strange.

    ReplyDelete
  57. You are clearly a genius.
    BTW aren't those blackberries at the bottom?

    ReplyDelete
  58. Theundergroundrestaurant - Thanks! Actually, the berries are called "black raspberries".

    Here's a link that shows the difference.

    http://ddhr.org/2008/04/02/blackberry-vs-black-raspberry/

    ReplyDelete
  59. Here's a better link:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubus_occidentalis

    ReplyDelete
  60. Thanks so much for linking to This Week's Cravings. This recipe is absolutely amazing! (way to hard for me, but amazing none-the-less) Please don't forget to add the linky party in your post, we appreciate it. Next week we have another great theme planned for the linky party, so come back and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Beautiful! Your Coeur a la Creme looks elegant and delicious. Thank you for sharing your creation. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  62. This looks amazing! Your detailed tutorial is so helpful, and I love the idea of creating your own mold. Can't wait to try this soon!
    Amber @ www.applestoapplique.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!