Thursday, February 11, 2010

Famous Mall Pretzels

Famous Mall Pretzels ButterYum Copy Cat Recipe
Famous Mall Pretzels - ButterYum
When Little ButterYum and ButterYum Jr. asked if they could make these copycat mall pretzels I agreed.  But just before we were supposed to head into the kitchen, I could feel a killer headache coming on so I let the girls tackle the project all by themselves and they did a great job.  The pretzels turned out a little chubbier than their mall cousins, but I loved that they were heart-shaped.  Seasonally appropriate considering Valentine's Day is just a few days away.


Famous Mall Pretzels ButterYum Copy Cat RecipeI like the cinnamon sugar version, but the girls liked them with salt. Either way, they're great!




Famous Mall Pretzels
makes 6

Yeast Mixture:
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
1 1/8 teaspoon active dry yeast

Dough:
Yeast mixture from above
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cup bread flour
3 cups all purpose flour

Baking Soda Solution:
2 cups lukewarm water
2 tablespoons baking soda

Salt Topping:
2-4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
pretzel salt or Kosher salt to taste

Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
2-4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
pinch of salt
cinnamon sugar to taste

Make the yeast mixture by sprinkling the yeast over the water; stir to dissolve. Add the brown sugar and salt; stir to dissolve. Add flour; knead until smooth and elastic. Cover and let rest for 1/2 hour.

While the dough is rising, prepare the baking soda solution by combining the warm water and baking soda; stir to combine. Be sure to stir frequently during the next step.

After the dough has risen, divide into 6 equal portions. Roll each into a long rope about 1/2 inch thick. Shape into pretzels. Dip into the baking soda solution and place on baking sheet to allow for a 2nd rise. Preheat oven to 450F.

After pretzels have doubled in size, bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and brush with melted butter and either sprinkle with salt or cinnamon sugar. Enjoy!








39 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! I love those big pretzels. Auntie Ann Pretzels were started in my hometown. I have met the founder on several occasions. I love having a homemade version that looks so good!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. By themselves??!! You are a brave lady. And a great Mommy! My son LOVES, LOVES, LOVES these big chewy pretzels! Great post
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, these look SO good! I haven't had my dinner, and it's 10:42... if I could have one of these I would call it dinner! LOL! Thanks for sharing. You should hook up with us for Foodie Friday.

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never mind, Butter Yum! I see that you already have. I visited you from your post on my blog, but I was heading back to Gollum's next. So you get two visits! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am truly impressed that the they did this themselves! I think I would go for the salty ones too. I'm not a bread maker and have never heard of dipping something in a baking soda solution--Little Yums have one up on me :) They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME!!! I love these and the heart shape is GREAT!!!

    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look delicious. Nice post. Everyone likes a pretzel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll definitely be giving these a try! I love how they turned out like hearts - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I want to make these this weekend. They sound/ and look so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sound delicious. I love the heart shapes, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look wonderful!! My kiddos always want a pretzel at the mall...we're going to make some!!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great project for the weekend with the 4 little gkids coming! Oh my poor kitchen. I think I will put Grandpa in charge then he can clean up too!:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's wonderful that you have the girls to pick up the slack when you have a headache! When I go down the kitchen closes! Happy Valentine's Day. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Mall Pretzels! Those Look amazing! Thanks soo much for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not sure I am cut out for pretzel making ~ in spite of the way yours look ~ so (no offense intended) I am off to the Mall! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Butter...these look so so good. I am staying with 3 grands right now and I think I will run buy some yeast and let them help me make some tonight...Thanks bunches for the recipe.
    and..hug your kids and tell them, for me, what a great job they did....:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! I want one now. They look so delicious. I love the big pretzels. I think I will makes these with my girls this weekend. Thanks for sharing, Hope you are feeling better!! Wishing you the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you may have just solved my dilema for my husband's birthday next week. He isn't really a big sweet person, but he would think this was a great treat. He loves those big pretzels. I like the cinnamon version. Thank you so much!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so yummy for snacks, any time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like these heart shaped ones better than the mall version! This sounds like a perfect recipe to bake with my granddaughter, she loves mall pretzels!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look yummy.Way to go for the girls . I will be trying the cinnamon version....

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love those pretzels at the mall, so I'm going to have to give these a try. They look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your kids are like chips off the old block as they did a good job. I want to reach in and take a bite because it looks delicious. Probably cost pennies to make compared to the prices of just one at the Mall. Happy Valentine's day.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, I am going to have to try these! They look and sound delicious! I would have a hard time deciding between the cinnamon and salt! :)

    I'm going to try your pork chops below, too! My family will love those! Hope you and yours have a wonderful Valentines! ~Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look a whole lot tastier than the $6.00 ones I saw today at a Disney On Ice Show. They would freeze well, wouldn't they? Great idea for kids to bake.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for visiting my blog! I thought shortbread was supposed to be baked in a pan and then cut also. I think I may be using butter that is too cold and not mixing it well enough.

    I love your blog! Your pictures look so good. I am going to have to go back through and mark some recipes to try.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow those look so yummy!! Way to go girls.

    ReplyDelete
  28. They really did do an excellent job. There'll be assistants in the kitchen before you know it. I hope you all have a wonderful Valentine's Day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  29. mmm! Makes me want to make pretzels all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oooooh, those pretzels look so good! I liked the chicken soup recipe too. I might try them both this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Something else to add to my list of goodies to make for DH, as he loves pretzels. I'll try the salted version with whole wheat flour.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have never tried Auntie Anns pretzels! I have had like a pizza pretzel at another stand. I'm going to have to try Auntie's next time I go to the mall!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Good job to the butteryum children!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow!! I finally got to try this recipe. I had to find the bread flour first. I have to say that these are really really good. I cut some into bite size pieces before baking(like the other mall pretzel place)and even added some pepperoni slices to some. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Donna - I'm so glad to hear you liked the pretzels. Thanks for letting me know!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  36. We just finished these; they're wonderful. Thanks for sharing. Your kids did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  37. HI,
    I like this recipe.. Looking awesome.. Thanks for posting this recipe....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!