Friday, April 16, 2010

Light and Crispy Shredded Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

Shredded wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies ButterYum

Shredded wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies ButterYum id=
Our family likes miniature frosted shredded wheat cereal - unfortunately, there's always a huge pile of crumbs at the bottom of the box that nobody wants to eat. So I started saving the crumbs in hopes of figuring out a way to somehow use them. Then, one day while walking through the grocery store, I noticed a "store brand" of these mini cereal bites had a chocolate chip cookie recipe written on the side of the box. I decided to give the recipe a try and they were a big hit, so now I don't mind that pile of uneaten crumbs at the bottom of each box.

Unlike traditional chocolate chip cookies, these cookies bake up very crispy and as light as air (they're actually kind of hollow inside). Great for dipping into a tall glass of ice cold milk!

For a slightly healthier version, I replace 1/4 of the cereal crumbs with an equal amount of ground flaxseed, wheat germ, or a combo of both.


Light and Crispy Shredded Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes about 2-3 dozen cookies

1 cup finely processed frosted shredded wheat crumbs
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
8 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 375F. Process cereal crumbs in a food processor or blender until finely ground. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until well blended; add eggs and vanilla and mix well. In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder; add to flour mixture and stir to combine. Add chocolate chips. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool completely; store in an airtight container.

Note: For a slightly healthier version that doesn't affect the flavor or texture of these cookies at all, replace 1/4 cup of the cookie crumbs with an equal amount of wheat germ, ground flaxseed, or a combination of both.

Recipe can be doubled, but only if you plan to bake the cookie dough right away (dough get's dry as it sits).

22 comments:

  1. How unique, healthy and yummy looking to boot! Who would have thought mere crumbs could lead to these cookies? Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've missed you!! And I will try these- my husband likes his chocolate chip cookies crunchy!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear, where have you been? I have been missing your HCB post. I know you said that you've gotten busy so haven't had time to do much baking. I hope I will "see" you around soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Pattie and Jenn - I've been buried under a mountain of work lately. No end in sight for quite some time. Thanks for asking.... I keep trying to post, but I just can't seem to find the time. Will be making my oldest son's favorite cheesecake this weekend... hopefully I'll get a shot of it so I can post the recipe.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea for using cereal crumbs. I can see keeping crumbs from different cereals until there is enough for cookies. Thanks for another good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea!!! They look yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The baby says it wants to taste these cookies! Are you going to deny a baby??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Deige - I would never deny little baby. He/she will have to come out soon and grow up a little first! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea to save those! I always feel so bad pouring the crumbs into the trash, but I never want to eat them. They get so gross in the milk! This recipe sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have the same problem here with the bottom-of-the-Frosted-Mini-Wheats-box. This is a brilliant solution! Love it and look forward to the end of our current box.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How clever! Your cookies look wonderful! Thick and chewy. Yum yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We always have this cereal and i'm going to start saving the last shredded bits and try this. Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful cookies! I've never thought of using mini wheats in cookies! such great idea! We all have been missing your HCB posts and your beautiful photos! Please return quickly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great way to use up the bits at the bottom of the cereal box. I'm always ready to try a new chocolate chip recipe. Yummy photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh thanks a million for this recipe, I dislike throwing away the crumbs!

    Wonderful photo:}

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whodathunkit? I bet the shredded wheat gives it a great texture too. Glad to "see" you :)!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ahhaha.... my jar of crumbs also has some biscotti crumbs in it.... this week..chocolate mocha.... because I'm sure there is a use for it.... waste not want not ...as our parents used to say. This is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies haves an incredible taste, do you have an alternative recipe for diabetics?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for this recipe! It's exactly what I need.
    ~ Laura

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know this post is old, but I wanted to respond for those that have any allergies they work around. My daughter is egg allergic and I realized I didn't have enough butter (oops!) So I made these with canola oil and 1/3 cup applesauce for the egg. These are really good. They look almost exactly like your cookies, but probably a little softer. When I noticed the batter was dry I just added a little more oil and applesauce. It was really light and reminded me of eating a candy bar. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great idea! Thank you for this. I always want to try this one too: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/shredded-wheat-bread-recipe. I think cookies must be made first!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!