Thursday, May 13, 2010

How To Make Candied Lemon Slices

Candied lemon slices, rind, peel, skin, ButterYumHow To Make Candied Lemon Slices


How to thinly slice lemons, ButterYumStart by thinly slicing a lemon. You can do this by eye, but it really works best if you slice the lemons very thinly and very evenly. A mandolin is the perfect kitchen tool, but I don't have one so I came up with this trick.


Mandolin substitution, ButterYumI placed my lemon, cut side down, between two wooden skewers, then rested my knife across the skewers as I sliced.


Making Candied Lemon, ButterYumOkay, now it's time to blanch the lemon slices in boiling water for 5 minutes. This softens the rind and reduces bitterness; drain and reserve. In the same saucepan, add fresh water and sugar (recipe below). Stir to dissolve sugar; add the lemon slices and bring to a slow boil. Reduce to a simmer; simmer for 1 hour.


Candied Lemon Slices, ButterYumSpray a cooling rack with non-stick spray and place the individual lemon slices in a single layer, not touching, to dry for 24 hours. Note - these never really dry; they stay sticky, but they will firm up after 24 hours. Store in an airtight container separated with wax paper.


Candied Lemon Garnish, ButterYumChewy, sweet, and oh so pretty - I used these candied lemon slices to garnish a quick and easy Lemon Mousse.


Candied Lemon, ButterYum
Candied Lemon Slices
Printable Recipe
1 lemon, thinly sliced
2 cups water to blanch lemon slices

1 cup water
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

Thinly slice lemon. Blanch in 2 cups boiling water for 5 minutes; drain. In the same saucepan, stir together 1 cup water and 1 1/2 cups sugar; stir to dissolve sugar. Add blanched lemon slices and heat until the mixture starts to boil slightly. Reduce to simmer; simmer uncovered for 1 hour. Remove from heat.

Spray a cooling rack with non-stick spray and place individual lemon slices in a single layer to dry for up to 24 hours. Store in an airtight container separated with wax paper.

Note - the lemon infused sugar syrup can be used to make sorbet, ice tea, etc.






41 comments:

  1. What a cool trick! - www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the skewer trick!
    This would make a lemon pie so much prettier! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely trying this one! Who can look at these pictures without their mouth watering.
    Thanks for posting this.
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely going to have to try this, I can think of a million and one brilliant uses for these! What a great post x

    http://theartofbeingperfect.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. how very, very lovely! the toothpick trick is one i'd never consider--brilliant, and the results are gorgeous. thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool is that slicing tip! I'm so happy you shared this. I'll try it the next time I candy some lemon slices. Your photos are so artful...love them! Now I'm off to check out that lemon mousse recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this...and the bonus note....bonus YUM!
    I am so making these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never made candied lemon but I really should give it a try. I always love it when it is used to decorate cakes.

    Thanks for the tips and best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just lovely:) Thanks for the tip on slicing too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those skewers are ingenious - I never would have thought to do that

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've got to try this~ Your pics are true art, who would have thought lemons drying on a rack would be so gorgeous! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a neat trick with the skewers! I don't have a mandolin either. The mousse sounds delicious ( I like anything lemon). I have never had fresh cream. I will be trying both recipes. Thanks! Your iced coffee drink pictures will put me to shame :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful photos and the ingenious tip on slicing with skewers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the way the slices look with that mousse. What a fabulous presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do not own a mandolin because I like my fingers as they are and just know I would slice one off so I appreciate the skewer idea.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these, especially your trick with the skewers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is great! I am totally using this

    ReplyDelete
  18. Patricia,

    The photos are so gorgeous, and I love the idea of serving mousse in tea cups! What beautiful teacups you have.

    I miss your regular post announcements, since I moved to WordPress, but I am so glad I made the move.

    Happy blogging,

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is absolutely lovely to the eyes and sounds just delicious! I love the lemons. I also spent some time on your vegetable page in my hunt for roasted brussels sprouts, and I am dying to try just about everything that I saw. Totally delicious looking.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are just so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooo I want to make these and top them on frosted sugar cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's been a while since I last made these. I adore the aroma in my kitchen when making them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a terrific post! I love the way you sliced the lemons, and the final product is so beautiful. It's always nice to have a "finishing touch" like this to really elevate a dish. Thanks for the great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this idea. I am a lemon fan! I have a friend who is bringing lemons to bowling on Tuesday, I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  25. how long do these store for ? Any idea ? They look lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  26. My dad used to make these for me all the time when i was little, it's so nostalgic :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I wish I had found this post yesterday! My mom told me to do sugared lemons for some cupcakes I needed today, but I didn't know how so I ended up using a lemon drop.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have made candied orange slices in the oven and next time I will use your method!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was just making a lemon cheese cake, and was looking for a why to make candied lemon. This is great. Lemons are Blanching as I type. Hopefully this will make a nice topping. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  30. So lovely AND easy! Just waiting out the hour now and I plan to use them Saturday to decorate lemon cupcakes. I DO have a mandoline but used a knife because the rind was giving me trouble. Guess I need to sharpen it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful! I made some of these today and will use them next month along side lemon curd to fill a layer cake!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Bekka,

    Great! Be sure to store them in an airtight container because sugar absorbs moisture from the air and will make your candied lemon slices turn soft and sticky. If you can, tuck a couple of those desiccant silica packets in the container (but not touching the lemon slices).

    Take care,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oooh those look sooo delicious. I love your site, though it always makes me hungry. :) I didn't know making these would be so easy. Can't wait to try it, can I do it with oranges, too?

    ReplyDelete
  34. These did not taste the way I thought they would taste, but they taste delicious! They are also ridiculously easy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What's a mandoline? I thought it was a musical instrument.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are mandolins that are musical instruments, and there are mandolines that are very sharp slicers for vegetables. If you google mandolin slicer, you can see what they look like.

      Delete
  36. Mouthwatering! Great idea and photos. Love the photo of the mouse - beautiful and well presented. Yum. But those glistening lemon slices . . . . mmmmmmmmmmmm almost taste them ........ Happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  37. How did you keep the middles from falling apart? Mine disintegrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of mine disintegrated too. It seems the ones that were thinnest, didn't stay in tact as well as the ones that were a tad thicker.

      Delete
  38. A great lemon post. Thank you for linking it in to Food on Friday: Lemons and limes. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  39. Try this with your favorite hard cheese, serve this to your guest.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!