Thursday, October 28, 2010

Garlic Oil and Sea Salt Focaccia

Garlic Oil Focaccia with Sea Salt - ButterYum
I do declare, this is the best focaccia I've ever eaten.  I have to give credit where credit is due - this recipe comes from Chef Anne Burrell (love her).  I did, however, tweak her recipe slightly by replacing 1/2 of the olive oil she calls for with garlic infused olive oil. Wow, this stuff is amazing!
Bravo, Anne!



I'm so thankful for stand mixers and dough hooks.  It's hard to believe this unassuming lump of dough is going to end up being so incredibly delish, but it is!  If your dough hasn't pulled away from the sides of the bowl like this, sprinkle with a bit of flour and knead a little more.


Place the dough into a very large, well oiled bowl; turning the dough to completely coat with oil.  Don't be alarmed by the pool of olive oil - Anne says, "This may seem excessive, but focaccia is an oily crusted bread. This is why it is so delicious!"

Now we cover the bowl with plastic and let it rise at least an hour until it doubles in size.


Happy-Happy.  Don't be tempted to punch down or deflate the dough yet, but don't worry, you'll get your hands dirty soon enough.


Now that the dough is done rising, we have to prepare our half sheet pan with the remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil (again, I used a combo of half extra virgin olive oil and half garlic infused olive oil).  Please ignore that bottle of basil oil - we're not using it today.


Okay, back to the focaccia.  Still kinda hard to believe this is going to turn out so wonderful, but trust me.  I know, I know... you're just dying to get your hands in that dough, right?  The time has finally come - go for it!!


You can squish and smoosh and squeeze all you like.  You want to be pretty rough here - press that dough into the pan like you mean it!  See all those lumps and bumps?  We don't want them on our thighs, but we do want them on our focaccia.  Anne's tip: "stretch your fingers out and make holes all the way through the dough".  Following Anne's advice will enable the dough to retain that craggy appearance after the second rise.  Set the pan aside, uncovered, for another hour.  For some reason I didn't get a picture of the risen dough, but it was soft and billowy.  Pop it into the oven and about 30 minutes later you'll have a enough focaccia to feed an army.
  

Garlic Oil and Sea Salt Foccacia - ButterYum

Garlic Oil and Sea Salt Focaccia 
recipe adapted from Anne Burrell
makes one half sheet pan (13 x 18 inches)

prep time - 20 minutes
rise time - 2 hours, 15 minutes
bake time - 30 minutes
cool time - 30 minutes
total time - about 3.5 hours 

1 3/4 cups warm water (between 105-115F)
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 tablespoon white granulated sugar
5 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
1 tablespoon Kosher salt, plus coarse sea salt for sprinkling
1 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided (I mixed together half EVOO an half garlic infused olive oil)

Proof the yeast by combining it with the water and sugar; stir to dissolve.  Let it sit in a warm place until bubbly and aromatic (about 15 minutes).

In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the flour, salt, yeast mixture, and half of the olive oil mixture.  Using the dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until ingredients are combined.  Increase speed to medium and knead for 5-6 minutes until the dough becomes soft and smooth.

Transfer the dough to a large oiled bowl; turning dough until it's well coated.  Cover with plastic wrap and put in a warm place until dough has doubled in size (at least an hour).

Coat a half sheet pan with the remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil mixture (half evoo, half garlic infused olive oil).  Remove the plastic wrap from your risen dough, but don't intentionally "punch down" or deflate the risen dough. Gently pour the risen dough onto the prepared half sheet pan.

Start pressing the dough into the pan, turn the dough over so both sides get coated with oil.  Continue pressing the dough, stretching your fingers through the dough until they touch the pan.  When the pressed into the pan completely, set the pan aside in a warm place for the dough to rise a second time, uncovered, for about an hour.  Preheat oven to 425F.

After the dough has risen a second time, drizzle lightly with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle liberally with coarse sea salt or kosher salt.  Bake for 25-30 minutes until the top is golden brown.  Cool before serving, and as Anne says, "Oh Baby!".

Note - feel free to reduce the recipe by half and bake it on a 9x13 quarter sheet pan.






42 comments:

  1. This looks divine! Anything with garlic oil just starts out good...way to add great flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Focaccia! Love love love focaccia! Never dreamed it was possible to make it at home. This is the most perfect picture of focaccia I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I must try this! Thanks the the recipe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound yummy. I will try it, thanks for sharing.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great! I just added it to my list of things to make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how beautiful! It looks so fluffy. I've never seen anything like it. And thanks for your comment on my braised pork chops...so glad you liked them! They are definitely one of my all-time favorites. :-) If you took one of your delicious pictures of them, I'd love to post it (with credit to you, of course)...I was so busy getting things ready for my guests that day, that my pictures were atrocious! - www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds yummy! I must try that soon! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, this looks like a perfect focaccia, light on the inside with a chewy crust. I would love this with soup or a salad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this sounds absolutely wonderful! I can just imagine it with a olive oil mixed with freshly roasted cloves of garlic. Wonderful, appetizing photos and tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This focaccia looks absolutely perfect. I love making sandwiches with focaccia. Looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the new setup on your blog :))) This looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love foccacia - and this looks spectacular! Thanks for sharing this tasty bread!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks soooo good! I'm needing some right about now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this looks great! I'm having my morning coffee now, and would really love a slice of this! Bookmarking this! Thank you for sharing this lovely recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely delicious - I can taste it through my screen. Girl, I love your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Wow! That looks & sounds amazing! Love watching Anne Burrell :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So simple and yet I am betting -- DEVINE!! Your bread looks wonderful :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is one beautiful Focaccia......I SO want to try this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is beautiful bread! Oil + bread= love!
    I could eat that whole thing. Oh happy day!
    Do you think focaccia mails well?
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good thing that the oil comes first in the name as I think there may be more oil than anything! Just kidding. Sounds and looks alot like mine except for the oil - wickedly delicious. I will be trying this one. Thanks for all of the wonderful tips, like the puddle of oil, using garlic oil, pressing all the way down and stretching. Sounds like lots of techniques that I am missing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OH Yeah! This looks fabulous!!

    Love your adaptation of Anne's recipe [besides Giada, she is practically the only one I watch on Food Network any longer.] The addition of garlic oil sounds perfect, one more level of flavor. Brilliant idea! :D

    As always... your photos are gorgeous! Good job! xo~m.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Seriously your pictures - want to make me grap at my screen, it does not help either that besides french bread, focaccia is right up there.

    ReplyDelete
  23. these look wonderful! there are so many things i want to bake but now i just need to find time...and this now is one of them..

    ReplyDelete
  24. If I could make and eat only one thing, I think it would be homemade bread. I just love what you've done here, and your addition of garlic is SUCH a great idea. Like Monica above, I wish I could reach into the gorgeous photos above and grab a slice right now!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So THAT'S how you get the bumpy texture on focaccia bread. Your great photos make it so clear how to make this. I'm trying this out right away. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. We've been doing a fair amount of bread baking around here as of late, and I am definitely adding this recipe to our "to try" list...it looks fabulous. I've got a box of Maldon sea salt and some fresh rosemary in the garden that will be perfect for this recipe! - S

    ReplyDelete
  27. That garlic oil sounds excellent! I SO love garlic! I don't make a lot breads but I might make an exception here! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. My e-mail - doubletkris@yahoo.com. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mmmmmm this looks awesome! Love the look of the bread. Don't you just love the Kitchen aide mixers? I cherish mine it was made in 1970 and it is still doing the job! Great bread recipe I must try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Must get my hands on some garlic oil. I've wanted to make foccacia for awhile now, and since you claim this the best, I'm trying it!

    PS, Your daughters are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  31. that is one darn delicious focaccia!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks amazing! I'm going to try this soon. I've never made focaccia, but this looks easy enough and yours turned out beautifully! I love the garlic infused substitution too.

    Thanks for sharing at Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday!!

    Dr. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  33. My kind of bread! Great pictures of the process.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  34. My mouth is watering. Hubby wants to get into making foccacia but this is the first recipe I've seen to get started. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This looks so good, I want to make some. Thanks for the recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I enjoy making bread at home from time to time but I have not tried making foccacia before. It looks fun and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  37. mmm this looks delish! Thank you for linking up to Katie's Cucina! Hope to see you back next Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I made this last night and it was fantastic. I blogged about it as well. Thanks for the recipe hook up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anne Burrell is one of my favorite chefs on Food Network. I am going to try this recipe tonight. Just discovered your blog and I have got to kick myself off because I have spent so much time looking at it... but I'll be back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Ooh, this is one of my favourite foods of all time! Thank you for the recipe! :) Great blog x

    ReplyDelete
  41. This looks amazingly yummy! I always make it with fresh garlic and Oregano. Never thought of using garlic oil. Nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!