Thursday, May 5, 2011

Pretzel Rolls

Pretzel Rolls - ButterYum

I recently had an opportunity to sample a Pretzel Roll - Yummo!  I'd never heard of them before, but I wanted to make them at home so I found a recipe online at Epicurious.   This no-knead recipe goes together very quickly using your food processor.  The family loved the way they tasted. 


Pretzel Rolls - ButterYum
Pretzel Rolls (adapted from Epicurious)
makes 8 rolls

2 3/4 cups bread flour
1 envelope quick rise yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 teaspoon fine salt
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water (125F to 130F)

8 cups water
1/4 cup baking soda
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 egg white, beaten (glaze)
pretzel salt or coarse salt

In bowl of food processor, combine flour, yeast, salt, and 1 teaspoon sugar.  Turn processor on to combine ingredients and slowly pour the hot water down the feed tube.  Process until ball of dough forms; continue to process 1 minute to knead dough.  Remove dough from work bowl and place in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, then a towel.  Place in a draft-free place to double in size (20-60 minutes depending on what kind of yeast you used).

Punch down dough and cut into 8 equal pieces.  Using your clean counter, cup your hand around one dough ball and using a circular motion, shape roll into a smooth ball.  Place rolls on a parchment lined sheet pan; space evenly.  Cover with towel and place in a draft-free location so they can double in size.  Preheat oven to 375F.  

Bring water, baking soda, and 2 tablespoons sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan.  Using a slotted spoon, put one roll at a time into the boiling water and boil for 30 seconds per side.  Remove from water, drain, and place back on parchment paper lined sheet pan

Brush rolls with beaten egg white and sprinkle liberally with pretzel salt or coarse salt. If desired, you can use a sharp knife or kitchen shears to snip an "X" on top of each roll (I didn't make my Xs large enough).  Bake in a 375F oven for about 25 minutes.  Cool on a rack for 10 minutes before eating.  Best if eaten the day they're made.

Notes:
  • Depending on the yeast you use, this recipe will take 2-3 hours from start to finish. 
  • Although these rolls are really yummy when they're still warm, I find they taste most like a pretzel after they've been allowed to cool completely.  




40 comments:

  1. How fun and different is this. I know that the boiling would make such an interesting texture. Your photo (and backdrop) intrigue me. What is the backdrop material? Joni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joni - the backdrop is my glass topped patio table. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those rolls look so neat. I've always seen them in stores but now, thanks to your post, I'd be able to make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great........how fun! Happy Mother's Day:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That has to be the perfect bread picture. It makes me want to reach through the screen and grab one. They look outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great, Patricia. I have had them, but never made them. I have to try the recipe, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these rolls, I also love that I can simply use my processor! yah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy cow, these look good. All though, I must admit, your picture of the Nutri system food looks pretty darn tasty as well!!
    xo
    lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the look of these rolls!! I am putting these on my list of things to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the year I am learning to make bread. These look scrumptious!
    I wonder if they freeaze well.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can't go wrong with these, Yvonne. They're so easy to make. I imagine they would freeze fine if wrapped well. The batch didn't last long enough in our house to see, but maybe I can test one from the next batch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great site! I had to join just so I could be in that huge picture gallery at the top ha ha.Also these rolls look presidential!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You make me SO hungry when I visit! Bread is one thing I have a hard time refusing, these rolls look GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH! wow,I could eat about 1/2 dozen.YUMMMMM!
    Thank you for your "sweet" comment,Paula Deens double chocolate cake was so sinfully good you felt as if yu shoud hide to eat,teehee.
    I'm newest follower,hope you can follow back.
    ~Jo
    LazyonLoblolly

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those rolls look great! I can just imagine how good they must be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've only made them once and yes, I fell in love with them too. Yours are absolutely perfect. Of course, most everything you make is. ::sigh::

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just the other day I saw something that made me want a sandwich made with pretzel rolls. These look wonderfully crusty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. did you use the dough blade or regular blade on your food processor?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never heard of pretzel rolls before, but they look so delicious and doable. I think I'll try them this week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are a first for me ~ haven't heard of them before but oh my, they look delish! The photo is perfect too. Thanks for sharing!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  21. Never heard of these before either! They look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous - I used the regular metal blade.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Monica - The crust is pretty "crusty" while they're still warm, but when allowed to cool completely, it turns very chewy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for stopping by -- you are a fabulous cook. Good luck with your NutriSystem program. I think all of us who like to cook struggle with trying to feed those with a higher metabolism and take care of ourselves. My husband can eat anything, but I can think about food and gain weight.

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMG I recently had pretzel bread at a local gourmet market for the first time and it was SO good! These rolls look delicious - can't wait to try this recipe. Thanks so much for sharing it:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the pretzel rolls from a local bakery! They are so delicious. I'd love to try making them at home too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It is really bad to look at this when I am soooo hungry! :-) I could seriously just eat that entire bowl and I feel like I can almost smell them. Thank you so much for linking up this fabulous recipe to Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow Such a beautiful picture! looks irresistible.


    Thanks so much, I can’t wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! This looks so yummy! I hope you will sign up for my giveaway!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the name of your blog and couldn't wait to come see. I'm not disappointed. It's as delicious looking as it sounds! Great recipes and wonderful photography! Thanks for coming by so I could find you.
    Have a nice week!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  31. These look so crusty and bubbly and fabulous. I have never heard of them either, but I am certainly printing them off right now! What a great idea. Your photo of them is absolutely mouthwatering! (Or shall I put that another way, drool causing!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have never heard of these either, but thank you so much for sharing them! Your pretzel rolls look fantastic, and my mouth is watering just thinking about them. I've bookmarked the recipe and hope to make them very, very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'd like to make tea party sized rolls for mini sandwiches (2-3bites). I'd like about 2 dozen. Can you help me out with any modifications, please. Also, can they be made a day ahead?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Jayne. I don't know exactly how to answer your questions, but I'll
    attempt to offer my best advice.

    As for making the rolls smaller - it might be more successful if you
    turned the 8 rolls into 16, but maybe 24 would work too. The smaller
    roll size wouldn't need as long to rise (during the 2nd rise), and
    they wouldn't need to bake as long either - I'd start checking them
    after 8-10 minutes.

    As far as making them a day ahead, wait until they're completely cool
    before storing them in an airtight container. Another option would be
    to partially bake them ahead of time, then finish baking them several
    hours before you want to serve them. You could also consider chilling
    the dough before the first rise (a day ahead of time), then bring the
    dough to room temp on the day of the party, and proceed with the first
    and second rise as the recipe instructs.

    I hope that helps. Let me know how it goes if you make them.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi, I'd love to feature this recipe on HuffPost Taste. Can we post the photo with your permission with a link back to you?

    Thanks.
    Joseph.Erdos@huffingtonpost.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!