Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Caramelized Brussels Sprouts

Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Pecans - ButterYum

I usually make Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts, but I wanted to try something different this time.  Thanks to Pinterest, I found this recipe - the combination of pecans, garlic, and brown sugar might sound a bit odd, but it works.  In fact, it works so well that my vegetable hating picky eater helped himself to 3 servings.  Use the feed tube of a food processor to quickly slice the sprouts into ribbons - once you have that done, the dish is complete in less than 10 minutes.  Don't let my horrible nighttime photo scare you away - give this one a try!


Caramelized Brussels Sprouts
from Eat, Live, Run
serves 4

12-14 large Brussels sprouts
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
pinch sea salt
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup roughly chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted

Slice each Brussels sprout very thin until you have a mound of feathery Brussels sprout ribbons. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and saute garlic for 30-60 seconds. Add the Brussels sprouts and salt; saute for another 5-6 minutes until the sprouts are bright green and tender. Add the brown sugar and pecans: to together well.  Serve immediately.

18 comments:

  1. I think the combination sounds heavenly, not scary! Unfortunately, I'm the only one in the house that loves Brussels sprouts. It'd make this for myself though. Saving the recipe.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm....I might have to add that to our Thanksgiving dinner and hit the grocery store early tomorrow morning! Thanks, it looks really good! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound great. I've been looking for ways to make brussels sprouts when my husband is out of town. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy does this sound good! Happy Thanksgiving:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum...I am making Brussel Sprouts tomorrow and will post the recipe. These look scrumptious! Happy Thanksgiving! -- Joann

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look amazing. I love the taste when roasted, so much better..
    Happy thanksgiving..

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy thanksgiving! this would make a good side dishes for us.. i'm a foreigner, and i really think this recipe will go good together with rice :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours... (I love your Pintrest posts!)
    Rainey

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just thinking how yummy your photo looked! My son absolutely loves brussels sprouts - he actually used to beg me to buy them in the grocery store when he was little :) - and he will adore this recipe. I think even my 'still not sure about brussels sprouts even after all these years' husband will love it too. I think it's one of the best ways to prepare brussels sprouts I have ever seen - thank you so much for sharing this fantastic seasonal recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy brussel sprouts! Happy Black Friday to all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to try this. It looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why have I never thought of slicing Brussels sprouts in my food processor??? I have another recipe that calls for them sliced but this one sounds really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks and sounds wonderful. I little used to LOVE vegetables but started to get picky lately. I gotta give this recipe a try to see how it goes. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a similar recipe, but with pancetta and Parmesan. It's the only way my family will eat brussel sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Brussels sprouts, my husband hates them. He even went so far as to ask me never to make them again. I am going to try your recipe and maybe this will be the one to win him over :) If not, I am sure I will like them.

    I don't have a food processor but I suppose I could just slice them with a knife?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sure, a knife will work. I'd cut each of the sprouts in half lengthwise first, so they have a flat surface that you can rest against the cutting board while you slice them into ribbons.

    I hope you like them.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!