Saturday, April 7, 2012

Best Ever Blueberry Muffins

Best Ever Blueberry Muffins - ButterYum

I have a confession to share with everyone - when I learned this month's Crazy Cooking Challenge was Blueberry Muffins, I knew the exact recipe I wanted to make, Best Ever Blueberry Muffins by Mary Hunt (creator of Everyday Cheapskate).  There was only one problem, I couldn't find one single blog that featured the recipe.  I did, however, find a great little blog called Richelderfers Recipes that featured several other recipes by Mary Hunt, so I contacted Sarah and asked if she would consider doing a blog post featuring this recipe.  She quickly agreed and featured these muffins not long after.  I'm thrilled to be able to share the recipe with you - they're the best blueberry muffins I've ever had.  (Thanks a million Sarah!!)




Best Ever Blueberry Muffins
Printable Recipe
makes 12-16 standard size muffins  (recipe by Mary Hunt of Everyday Cheapskate)

Muffins:
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh, canned, or frozen)

Topping:
1 tablespoon granulated sugar (I like to use sanding sugar)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg (cinnamon works well too)

Preheat oven to 375F.  Prepare a 12-cup muffin pan by spraying well with baking spray or line each cup with a foil liner (not paper - paper will stick terribly).  In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.  Using a fork, mash 1/2 cup of blueberries; set aside.  In a small bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and nutmeg; set aside.

Using a hand mixer, cream butter and 1 cup sugar together in a medium bowl until creamy and light in color; add eggs, vanilla, and 1/2 cup of mashed blueberries.  Add 1/2 of the flour mixture; mix just until the dry ingredients are incorporated.  Add 1/2 of the milk and mix just until combined.  Repeat with the remaining flour mixture, followed by the remaining milk.  Fold in the remaining 2 cups of whole blueberries.  Portion batter evenly into muffin cups and sprinkle with sugar/nutmeg topping.  Bake 25-30 minutes.

My Notes - I've never made this recipe using canned blueberries, but I've made it many times using frozen blueberries.  This recipe works equally well with as little 1 1/2 cups of blueberries.  For the topping, I sometimes substitute cinnamon for the nutmeg.  I also like to sprinkle vanilla sugar on top of the muffins.  Batter makes nice mini bread loaves too.

Mary's Note:  Mary says you can freeze the muffins for up to two months before baking - portion the batter into foil-lined muffin pan and place in the freezer until the batter is firm, then pop the frozen muffins out of the pan and store in a freezer-safe container.  When you want freshly baked muffins, simply pop the frozen batter-filled foil cups back into a muffin pan and bake as directed; adding 5-6 minutes to the total baking time.






26 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on my muffin recipe. It is funny that our recipes have the same name but are totally different. Your recipe sound and looks delicious. I love the fact that you can freeze the batter and bake the muffin at a later date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, I see, creaming the butter and sugar first is probably what makes them so good. More tender and cake-like, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always awesome to find a great recipe! Thanks for sharing one of your favorites.

    Have a great Eater weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I need to try these if they're the "best ever"! I love the idea about freezing the batter. What a great tip!! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound so simple and delicious! Thanks for checking out my CC entry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to be resourceful when looking for a recipe!!! :D They look great!

    #65

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, do these ever look delicious. My daughter loves Blueberry Muffins so I will be giving this recipe a try :) Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look wonderful, and sugar and nutmeg topping sound so delicious. Looking forward to trying these!

    #49

    ReplyDelete
  10. look amazing! I love blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The color of your blueberries is so pretty and the muffins look amazing! I love the freezer idea. Thanks for checking out my CCC post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the nutmeg on the top and great tip about freezing the batter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look good, I will have to try them sometime. I like the idea of freezing the batter so you always have some ready to go. Stopping by from CCC#41.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These sound simple but they look amazingly delicious. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look dee-licious! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the concept of freezing the batter!!!
    Tracey @ The Kitchen is My Playground (CCC #23)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bet the nutmeg and sugar on top was delightful!
    #20

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is nothing like a wonderful, fresh blueberry muffin and this recipe does sound like the best ever!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, 96 blueberry muffin recipes! I have been on a mission, testing different bberry muffin recipes. Just last week I was in the middle of a recipe and discovered we were out of milk. Subbed heavy cream and left out the butter~they were perfect, but not THE best. I'd like to compare the ingredients and t make truly awesome muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Always looking for a great muffin recipe and this one looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness! We love muffins for breakfast around here and these look like they would make a very happy family. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These blueberry muffins look and sound so good - I love the idea of using mashed blueberries as well as whole ones!

    ReplyDelete
  22. nice idea.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These turned out great. Ran out of regular milk and used non sweetened almond milk. Oh and I added lemon juice in the batter and some lemon sugar I had made. Very yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. YUMMY!! I ran out of milk and used almond milk and I also added lemon juice and lemon sugar. FAB!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!