Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Chewy British Flapjacks

British Flapjacks - ButterYum

Do you think of pancakes when you hear the word flapjacks?  Well, think again - British Flapjacks are nothing like American pancakes.  They're a buttery, caramely, chewy kind of granola bar that is utterly and amazingly DELISH!!  No wonder they're so beloved by Britons (Australians have a similar version called Muesli Bars).  We can't keep the family away from them... not even the kid who hates everything. 

This recipe calls for Golden Syrup, which is a popular cane sugar syrup from the UK.  It has a rich, complex caramel flavor and it's one of my favorite ingredients so I buy it whenever I find it... even brought several tins home when we went to England.  In the US it can be purchased Wegmans, Harris Teeter, Shop Rite, specialty food shops, gourmet food shops, and British import stores.  If you can't find it, you can substitute agave nectar, honey, or light corn syrup, but definitely make an effort to find the golden syrup.  It's amazing stuff and I almost always use in place of honey or corn syrup called for in the recipes that I bake.  I dare you to keep a spoon out of the stuff - bet you can't do it!!


Chewy British Flapjacks
Printable Recipe
makes 16
adapted from Bon Appetit

8 tablespoons (113g) unsalted butter
1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar (light or dark)
1/4 cup (84g) golden syrup (or agave nectar, honey, or corn syrup)
pinch of salt
2 1/2 cups (250g) quick cooking oats (old-fashioned oats can also be used)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350F and butter a 8x8-inch non-stick square pan.

In a medium sauce pan, melt butter.  Add brown sugar, golden syrup, and salt; stir until sugar dissolves and mixture is bubbly.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.  Add the oats; stir until all the oats are coated (at first it will seem like there isn't enough liquid to coat all of them, but don't worry, just keep stirring).  Press mixture evenly into prepared pan.  Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges just start to turn golden brown.  Remove pan from oven and rest for 5 minutes before cutting into squares or rectangles; cool completely in pan before serving (about an hour).

Notes:
Use a plastic knife to cut the flapjacks (they won't stick to the plastic).  The flapjacks will fall apart if you try to remove them from the pan before they are cool.  If you prefer crunchy over chewy, simply bake for an additional 5-10 minutes.  Adrianne from Happy Hour Projects made a version of these in a muffin pan - they baked up into little round puck shapes.  Very cute and no cutting required. 





















14 comments:

  1. hi Patricia , you know what would be realy nice is if you can but a nice recipe for a smaller wedding cake , I hope that I'm not asking for to much ...hugs. Rosa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next time I make a tiered cake, I'll blog about it. I don't have any plans to make one any time soon though.

      Delete
    2. thank you Patricia I realy I'm glad that you will sometime, Ido have the book but it's had for me to understand it in the cook book...hugs. Rosa and thank you again...

      Delete
    3. thank you so mush Patrincia for your nice comment on the Cappuccino Fudge Cheesecake that I made , but didn't use coffee beans I used chocolate almonds...lol.....hugs Rosa

      Delete
    4. Excellent substitution - Yummo!!

      Delete
  2. Flapjacks looks pretty good..:) This had become one of my favourite mid day snack..:)
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boyfriend goes head-over-heels for flapjacks. I bet he'd love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are absolutely my most favorite kind of 'granola' bar. I've never heard them called flapjacks but as long as I get a couple, I'll call them whatever you want. I also have never seen or tasted golden syrup and don't think I'll be able to find it in rural North Carolina (big bummer). I'll also need to up the cooking time. I like my cookies soft but my flapjacks (granola bars) crunchy. :) Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have a Harris Teeter nearby? They carry it.

      Delete
  5. I love oats, I can only imagine how nutty and delicious these taste!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look delicious! :) You can order Golden syrup online, which may come in handy for those of us who live in areas where certain ingredients are hard to find. Here is one link to a store that sells it: http://www.englishteastore.com/golden-syrup.html?gclid=CP-u5_3NxK8CFQLonAodPg3yYQ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you sure you want to use 8 ounces of butter? Really? 8 ounces of butter is 2 sticks. The Bon Appetit recipe that you "adapted" this from calls only for 1 stick of butter. We had to add quite a large quantity of extra oats just to soak up all the goo in the pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if your "tone" is friendly or not, but I thank you for bringing that error to my attention. My "adaptation" should have listed 8 tablespoons of butter, as is shown in the photo. The gram weight listed was correct.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!