Thursday, June 14, 2012

5-Star Ham and Potato Soup

5-Star Ham and Potato Soup - ButterYum

I found this soup on a popular recipe sharing site - it had earned the highest rating of 5 stars after more than 6,000 reviews so naturally, I had to make it right away.  I prepared the first batch as the recipe was written and it was quite tasty, but I knew I could get even more flavor by tweaking here and there - so that's the version I'll share with you today.  The family loved it (even my picky eater), and my neighbor asked for the recipe after she enjoyed 2 bowls.  This one's a winner folks.      

5-Star Ham and Potato Soup
Printable Recipe
serves 6-8
adapted from allrecipes.com

4 cups peeled and diced thin-skinned red or white potatoes (not baking potatoes such as Russets, Idaho, etc)
4 cups very flavorful homemade chicken stock
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 bay leaf 
6 tablespoons butter, divided
1/3 cup diced celery
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
3-4 cups diced cooked ham
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups milk

Optional Garnish:
fresh parsley, chives, scallions, cheese, bacon, crackers, croutons, etc

Place the diced potatoes, dried parsley, and bay leaf in a medium saucepan and cover with chicken stock.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium and cook until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes.  Remove saucepan from heat; do not drain.

In a large skillet, saute the ham, onions, and celery in 1 tablespoon of butter until the vegetables are soft and translucent.  Add mixture to the potato and chicken stock mixture.

In the same large skillet, melt the remaining 5 tablespoons butter.  Add the four, salt, and pepper and whisk until combined, continue whisking for 1-2 minutes to cook the raw flavor out of the flour.  Slowly add the milk and whisk to combine; continue whisking until the mixture thickens and begins to bubble; pour mixture into the saucepan that contain the ham and potatoes; stir to combine.  Garnish and serve.

16 comments:

  1. That's is the tastiest looking soup - perfect comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful photo! Makes me want to make it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooooooo! Hurry up autumn!
    Have a lovely eve ~
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me - it's too good to wait until then :).

      Delete
  4. I love a good bowl of soup any time of the year. My problem with potato soup is thatthere's not enough protein. However, with the addition of ham, it becomes a meal!! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds delicious and hearty! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Patricia,
    You are exactly right this one looks like a winner! We just love a great Potato Soup and I can't wait to try this one, if you made it I know it has to be good! Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks really great! i love ham and my hubby loves potatoes so this would be perfect for us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This does sound and look delicious, thanks.

    You are welcome to join in my monthly food blogger event THE SOUP KITCHEN, here offering a new theme each month. All bloggers are welcome, hope to see you participate soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this soup today and i will agree it is 5 star worthy! It tastes amazing but i think next time i make it i will use 5-6 cups potato and 2-3 cups ham. i used 4 cups ham this time and felt it was heavy on the ham, but trays personal preference

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for commenting on my blog, you left a link to this soup and I wonder if that was meant to be your entry The Soup Kitchen blog event.

    If this is the case, please read the entry rules to be qualified for the entry. Many thanks and we look forward to your delicious recipe.

    Debs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you are having a great week and enjoy your new Red Plate.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the look of this. Great that you linked in, thanks. have a good one

    ReplyDelete
  13. Patricia, I'm sorry to say that it took me 8 months to try this soup. It's now the end of Feb, 2014. I made it last night and it was awesome. My husband doesn't especially care for cream-based soups, but he LOVED this one. I did add diced carrots because I had a lot of carrots, a couple handfuls of colby-jack cheese, and a couple tablespoons of bacon grease replacing some butter in the sauce (cleaning the fridge out). Pretty, fairly easy, and delicious, with a lot of different flavors all melding together and working. A true winner. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bar - I love your revisions! So glad the hubs liked them too ;).

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!