Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Red Candy Apples

Red Candy Apples - ButterYum

Since most of the children in our neighborhood have grown too old to trick-or-treat we haven't handed any candy out for the past 4 or 5 years, but the Hubs always reminds me to buy a bag of his favorite peanut butter cups, "just in case".  So while I was out getting said peanut butter cups, he called to tell me 3 trick-or-treaters had just knocked on our door.  Not knowing where I stash the emergency treats, he explained the situation to the parents and told them the only thing he had to offer were homemade candy apples.  They happily accepted - crisis averted.

Anyway, this recipe tastes exactly like the candy apples I ate at street fairs when I was a child.  They're pretty easy to make, but you definitely need a candy thermometer to ensure the sugar reaches the proper temperature.  Items that are helpful, but not completely necessary are:  a silicone sheet pan liner or parchment, and a 1-quart copper sugar pan (or similarly sized heavy-bottom sauce pan).




Red Candy Apples
Printable Recipe
makes 8-10 apples
recipe adapted from Martha Stewart

8-10 apples, washed and stems removed
8-10 popsicle sticks
1/2 cup red hot candies (aka cinnamon imperials)
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
2 cups granulated sugar
15 drops red gel paste food coloring

Prepare apples by washing, drying, and removing their stems.  Push popsicle sticks about an inch into the stem end of the apples.

Over medium-high heat, combine red hots, corn syrup, water, sugar, and food coloring in copper sugar pan. (or similar heavy-bottom sauce pan)  Heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar and red hots dissolve.  Stop stirring, place candy thermometer in the pan, and continue to cook until the temperature reaches 302F (150C).  Turn off heat and remove candy thermometer from the pan; allow syrup to stop bubbling, about 2 minutes.  Tilt the pan so the hot syrup pools to one side and carefully dip the apples, one at a time, turning to coat completely.  Allow excess sugar syrup to drip back into the pan before placing the coated apples on a Silpat liner or parchment paper to harden (about 5 minutes).  Cool completely before serving.  Best eaten within 24 hours.











19 comments:

  1. When I was a kid people would often give out candy apples for Halloween. Now, alas, everyone seems so wary of anything that is homemade and want packaged things. I haven't had a candy apple in years, but now I'm really craving one! Great job - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, my mother would never have let me accept a homemade candy apple, but then again, we lived in NYC. People around our cozy little Virginia town are a bi more relaxed about these things. Of coarse it would never have occurred to my husband to hand out something handmade except for the fact that there was literally nothing else available and he didn't want to disappoint the kiddos. I later explained the whole "porch light on" rule. He had no idea.

      Delete
  2. Patricia, This is one of my secret passions! I LOVE CANDY APPLES! I have not had one in years and years... but these are almost too much of a temptation. I actually remember the first candy apple I ever ate... they looked just like these! I can almost taste them! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the first one I ever ate too - and I loved it!! If you were nearby, Yvonne, I'd love to see the look on your face when you bit into one. It would be a trip down memory lane, that's for sure.

      Delete
  3. These are absolutely beautiful! Welcome back - miss your lovely posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - you wouldn't believe the number of photos I have for posts that have never been published.... if only there was more time in a day!!

      Delete
  4. I love these! They look just like the ones that I got every summer at the little carnival that used to spend a week in our town- I HAD to get a candy apple and cotton candy. :) I love those even more than the caramel covered ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful apples. So much better than a candy bar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky trick or treaters!!!! Perfectly dipped and photographed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photos are just stunning! The apples sound pretty good too! I wanted to let you know I shared your photo and your page on my facebook page. I know folks will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia!! That was so nice of you :).

      Delete
  8. Wow! Patricia this apples look really delicious and yummy too, I remember when I was just a small popper I must have been 9 or 10 ,ones a year they had a carnival in Toronto, Ontario were I was living then and my sister and me use to go there and have an candy apple…

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds so easy! Yes, you definitely need a thermometer and we have to calibrate ours because of our high altitude.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't tell you the last time I had a candy apple. Yours are so beautiful and tempting. I may have to break down and try this recipe just for the fun of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never had a candy apple. But, you have me licking my lips and wanting one right this minute.

    Happy Pink Saturday, Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOO, these were such a favorite of mine when we went to carnivals and fairs. Even at my olden age, I still love 'em.
    I sure hope Beverly will make herself one...to go thru life withOUT ever having a candy apple is just terrible...:))
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Patricia,
    The photo of the red candy apples is gorgeous! I'm opening a bakery cafe and I was wondering if I could possibly get the image from you so I can blow it up and hang it on the wall. I would not sell it for commercial use. I would even be happy to add a copyright line or your name on the bottom.
    Thank you so much for considering.
    Cheryl Soon to Be Bakery Cafe Owner : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for asking - I'm honored. Yes, I'd love if you put my blog address at the bottom of the photo. Best of luck to you!!!

      Patricia
      PS - when you open your shop, please drop me a line and let me know.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!