Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Vanilla Cinnamon French Toast

Vanilla Cinnamon French Toast - ButterYum

I don't know how the weather has been where you live, but it's been a bit strange here.  Warm day, cold day, rain day, snow day.  Crazy.  We'll have temps in the 60s later this week, but this morning we awoke to a blanket of ice on everything.  Of course ice equals no school, much to the delight of my teenagers.  They took advantage of their extra time by sleeping in.  I took advantage of my extra time of having them home by making a breakfast that would normally be reserved for the weekend.  This recipe is an adaptation of one given to me by one of my sisters years ago - we love the warm hints of vanilla and cinnamon.











Vanilla Cinnamon French Toast
serves 6-8
Printable Recipe

Cinnamon Sugar:
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons granulated sugar

Batter:
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
3 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Additional Items Needed:
1 loaf crusty bread, sliced 1/2-inch thick
nonstick spray
salted butter

To Make the Cinnamon Sugar:
Combine cinnamon and sugar together; set aside.

To Make the Batter:
Using a blender or food processor, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, eggs, milk, and vanilla; blend thoroughly (the dry ingredients tend to clump together if you mix them by hand).  Pour the batter into a shallow dish.  Soak bread in batter for about 30 seconds per side.

To Make the French Toast:
Preheat cast iron skillet over medium heat.  Spray with nonstick spray and add a tablespoon of butter.  Cook bread on each side until brown; repeating batches until all the batter is used up.  Serve French toast with butter and cinnamon sugar.





9 comments:

  1. Yes we are having fun with the weather here in Virginia! It looks like it will be a beautiful day with warmer temperatures. Wish I had some of this beautiful french toast this morning, or for lunch or even for dinner. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! I'm with you on the crazy weather, though it has been more consistently cold lately, which I like :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious. I love French toast!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love french toast! Yours looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. French toast is something that I haven't thought about for too long! My teenagers have flown the nest :) How delicious it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh,I need French Toast right away...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!